Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earthworms

P

pamela

Where is a good source to purchase earthworms. My grandfather raised them (nightcrawlers), but he is not around anymore. (I acutally miss finding them roaming around in the frig occasionally - grandma sure as heck didn't though!)

Are bait shops good, or bad, resources?

I will also be acquiring waxworms. It appears that they are much more nutritional, and better digested, than are mealworms (?).

(Too feed c.orientalis, and T. Granulosa)

Thank you.

P

pin-pin

Bait shop worms are good. In fact, the tubs of worms sold in most pet shops are just bait worms with the price marked up.

The other resources:
1) Pet shops sell "Canadian Nightcrawlers." Do not get the "red wigglers"--Tarichas eat them under desperation, but the Cynops orientalis may not accept this type of worm due to its unpleasant yellow discharge.

2)"Walmart" has a fishing section, which apparently sells worms.
wacko.gif

J

jennifer

Regarding waxworms, they are good. I don't know if they are better nutritionally, but they are more eagerly eaten by sals. If you find they are too big, you can also try housefly grubs (a.k.a. maggots or spikes). I get them occasionally from grubco.com. Spikes (and a similar grub called a mousee) are used for ice fishing, so you can find them on eBay in winter.

By the way, here's a link to a PDF with very good information on the nutritional values of various insects:
http://www.nagonline.net/Technical%20Papers/NAGFS00397Insects-JONIFEB24,2002MODIFIED.pdf

P

pamela

Thank you Pin-pin and Jennifer! I shall begin my source search.

Yummmm!

G

grant

I use red wigglers for my axie and he loves them. Although most don't (from what I hear). I get my earthworms from Walmart I forget what they cost but they're pretty cheap compared to pet stores. And I occasionally feed waxworms but as with any larvae they are a lot more fatty than some other foods.

J

jameswei

Pamela you can aquire nightcrawlers at your local walmart, petco, or online www.bigappleherp.com

there are plenty of other sites to go to.

(Message edited by newtron on June 15, 2005)

P

peterj

My Axies all seem to like red wrigglers.

(Message edited by peterj on April 24, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1