Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pleurodeles waltl

kevin

Reaction score
This are my Pleurodeles waltl.
35672.jpg

35673.jpg

35674.jpg

35675.jpg
35676.jpg

35677.jpg

35678.jpg

J

joeri

Can your pleuro's handle such a big worm? I chop my worms in smaller pieces, maybe I don't have too
happy.gif

And how about those guppies, are they attacked (and eaten) a lot? Or do they manage to escape?

Anyway, nice setup. I love the flat rocks. Exactly what pleuro's look for to hide under.

Joeri

kevin

Reaction score
I feed them very big worms. Every day 3 of them.
If I forgot to feed them you see that there some Little Guppy`s are being eaten.

C

christian

one of my pleuro's does eat 3 of those big worms every time if I am not looking who's eating, its a really big eater, I try to feed every waltl the same amount of worms every time..(sorry for my english)

J

jarno

@kevin: you said ,,If I forgot to feed them you see that there some Little Guppy`s are being eaten.".
How is it possible to forget your pets?

kevin

Reaction score
No I mean with that I`ve done Guppy`s in there habitat. Because I feed them most of the time much worms. Every day or around the two or three days three if I forgot a day. Then I have for every sal 3 little guppy`s in my setup so if one get`s hungry they have alway`s something to eat so. On that way I never forget to feed them because they have every time guppy`s in there setup to eat and also tubifex. That is in my substratum.

kevin

Reaction score
Here are other photos of my Pleurodeles waltl on land. If someone has any suggestion for that setup please say it. Thanks.

36103.jpg

36104.jpg

R

rene

@kevin
my Pleurodeles Waltl doesn't like that to go on the land wy do you put them on the land.
the live in the wild nearly on the land.
so I think put them tank in the water.

kevin

Reaction score
I`ll put them in September in the water. And now I give them a Land rest. So that the eggs are more fertile. I`ve I get eggs of them. And I`m going to do this every year. From May to September.

C

christian

Dit is nergens goed voor Kevin, altijd dat eigenwijze gedoe met je dieren, mijn gezonde nakweek komt van dieren die nooit land gezien hebben, dus geen fratsen graag.

This is not necesary for your animals, the parent's of my waltl's have never seen land in their life, and all made healthy babies, this isn't landrest I think, it's just for yourselve to experiment. That's how all dutch caudate keepers know you......

R

rubén

Pleurodeles waltl spends the whole year in water just only when lives in cool/depth waters ( wells mainly ) and sometimes in permanent lakes on his northern distribution range.

But many times summer drought forces them to pass a terrestrial phase, and this is, however, good for his health. Permanent ponds are not always available, so... three months of terrestrial life are not strange for these newts.

kevin

Reaction score
No There was sometime one of my Pleurodeles waltl go on land. And have been there around halve September. Then I wan`t by myself that he go in the water again when I found him. And I few days later I buy`t some new P. waltl. And that male was going in amplexus. Than I`ve done it on the way everyone tells it. But he was never going in amplexus anymore. And now I`ll try to give them a land rest. To see i`ve they going to amplexus again and I`ve read this here.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~dresens/pleurodeleswaltl.htm
And that`s why I wan`t to try it.

M

mattias

Christian, I can see no harm in that?

Kevin seems to know they are semiaquatic in wild with the emphasis on aquatic. Once in a while you get some individual that is more then willing to get up on land.

M

kevin

Reaction score
Yes, your right. One of my Pleurodeles waltl has done that before. And about a halve year later three of them has done it. So now i`ll put them on the land by myself. So they have there land rest in a other habitat.

C

christian

I know it is possible to give them landrest, but that argument was because kevin always tries to experiment with his animals, you should check www.salamanderforum.tk, if you can read dutch, than you know why i posted it... he always has his word against the more experienced caudate keepers, he even managed to let his pleurodoles waltl escape from their tank, i hope he can explain us soon how they did that????

kevin

Reaction score
Yes, I know now how that has happened. The cages stand by my outside. And now there where some pigeons that has going to sit on the cages. And so there became openings lid. Where they through escaped. And I`m not experimenting with my animals. I only have put than sometimes some different animals with each other. But I have that no more. But the land rest self is no experiment it`s just something normal. And here`s a photo of the cage where they escaped.

37157.jpg

Sorry for my bad english.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!