Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photos from Arkansas

R

rodney

I have some land in Arkansas, and have seen several species of herps this spring. I'm no expert, but I will do the best I can with what I have looked up online. This spring, I have seen Eurycea longicauda, Eurycea multiplicata, Notophthalmus viridescens, Plethodon ambagula, Plethodon angustaclavius, and Ambystoma maculatum. Didn't take many photos because didn't have a camera when I saw most of them, but took a few later with a cheap dig cam.

34712.jpg

34713.jpg

34714.jpg

34715.jpg

34716.jpg

34717.jpg

There are many small ponds on the property, many of which have larvae which I assume to be A. maculatum, and most of them also contain N. viridescens. The E. angustaclavius seem to be plentiful as well as the P. ambabula along the small creeks on the property. I hope to find a E. lucifuga, but haven't yet. I will go out this weekend at night and see if I can find one.
Hope you enjoy the photos and I will try to get some better ones!

(Message edited by TJ on April 21, 2005)

P

pamela

Hi Rodney,

Nice scenery! Arkansas is beautiful for sure. Looks like you'll be having fun herping! Thanks for the pics.
happy.gif

R

ralf

Rodney,
I did enjoy the photos. Nice pictures, beautiful piece of land and also nice gravel banks in the river there. Is the river part of your property?

Ralf

R

rodney

Ralf, the river is part of the property: we were lucky to find such a beautiful property. I grew up in NW Texas...flat and dry with very few trees, so I find the hills and trees to be incredible. There are a couple of beautiful bluffs along the creek as well that I will post photos of if you would like to see them.
thanks
rodney

J

john

Hey Rodney

I'm a native Arkansan myself, transplanted to the east coast. How you liking the hills so far? I grew up in the north central part of the state. So far, you've already been more successful in your herping expeditions than the ones i had as a kid growing up there!

regards

John

R

rodney

John, I really do like it a lot, hope to move up there some time in the future. It is close to Marshall, which sounds like it wouldn't be very far from where you grew up.
thanks,
rodney

J

john

Rodney

Not far at all! I grew up in Boone Co. right close to Bull Shoals Lake in a tiny little town called Lead Hill. I've played basketball in Marshall a few times! Beautiful country, one of these days i'll move back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1