Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unusual Triturus Habitat

F

fabian

Hi,
I've been herping on an unusual place. This are the artifical Ponds in a gerdening (they sell water plants for pond in them)
15290.jpg

There are lots of Triturus alpestris and Triturus vulagaris in there. Icaught about ten alpestris and three vulgaris in ten minutes, and missed another ten.
Some pictures (I hope not too much):
15291.jpg

15292.jpg

15293.jpg

15294.jpg

15295.jpg

We also caught a Green frog (Rana ? Idon't know how to seperate lessonae, ridibunda and esculenta)
15296.jpg

Fabian

P

paul

Hi Fabian,

very interesting "habitat" - very nice pics.

Greetings Paul

A

alan

There is a well known aquatic plant seller in England who has a very large colony of Triturus cristatus in it's water lily ponds. These consist of a field with long trenches about three feet deep lined with butyl and containing only waterlilies in baskets, no other plants. Lots of newts!

J

juraj

Very nice ! "Habitats" of this type are not put in a risk of destroying them and maybe in the future they will completely supply natural ones.
Nice shots.

M

mark

Nice pics Fabian, there is an aquarium shop i know that keeps there adult axolotls in the ponds outside where they grow there aquatic plants.

P

paris

though that habitat may be unusual-they will use what they can. i was told by a friend there in the UK that he once saw an old armchair that was torn up and chucked into a small pond, this pond contained newts. when he pulled back the fabric from the chair he saw many morphs taking advantage of the damp/safe microhabitat that the chair afforded them-hows that for unusual?

D

dr.

Schöne Bilder, wo das auch sein mag.
Hier in Teutoburger Wald werden immernoch Bergfmolche gefangen und illegal in Zooläden verkauft, sie sind hier sehr selten geworden.
uhoh.gif

J

joeri

lol Konstantin, please stick to English, many people here won't understand your German.

"Nice pictures, where ever it may be.
Here in Teutoburger Forest Alpine newts are captured in the wild and sold illegal in petshops. They are becoming a rare species now."

(or something like that)

A

ajfr0ggy

I suppose having them breeding in the garden centers spreads populations, from the eggs laid on the plants.
The frog looks a bit like a marsh frog, but i havent seen any in real life
Alan, where abouts is the garden centre with the newts?

AJfr0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1