Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andrias davidanus

P

paul

Hy,
last weekend I mad this pic!
15142.jpg

It's a approximate 1 m long andrias daviduinus, living in Aqua Zoo, Germany, Duesseldorf

Paul

R

ralf

Hi Paul,
nice picture. Löbbecke Aqua Zoo in Düsseldorf is indeed a very nice place to visit.

J

jennifer

Wow, never seen one before. I would like to use this photo to make a new entry for this species on Caudata Culture, if you don't mind.

P

paul

Hi Jennifer,

feel free To use it.
Here you see its gigantic mouth.
15149.jpg

Paul

S

sergé

Great pictures, there are still a lot of them in Blijdorp Zoo in Rotterdam (the Netherlands) if you ever are in that area. They have tried breeding them a few times, but never got further then eggs.

P

paul

Hi Serge,

I think Klaus Haker was the only one in Europe who breed them (1995).

Paul

(Message edited by Paul_B on April 27, 2004)

P

paul

can anyone tell me a bit about this species. they are extraordinary

P

paul

Hi Paul,

the "Chinese giant salamander" (Andrias davidianus) lives in mountain rivers of Quinghai to Jiangsu, Southsichuan, Guangxi, Guangdong – China.
Total length up to 1,10 m.
Family: Cryptobranchidae

Paul

P

philipp

Hi all
Well, this breeding "success", becomes slightly less sensational, when you watch the "stamp-tank", those animals were put in. Sticking them on each other, would have been the next step, reducing space.:D
Greets,

P

paul

Hi Philipp,

I agree !
The more I wonder, that he was able to breed them.

Paul

TJ

Reaction score
Nice pics, Paul! Those support what I have read, namely that the Chinese variety of Andrias is considerably less warty than the Japanese one.

J

joeri

fishermen's legs
wink.gif

No good question, I was wondering the same thing as I was reading this topic. Anybody?

E

edward

At a conference last year they showed pictures of stowach washed of the Japanese species and there was a large number of fresh water crabs, some fish, some rodents and amphibians including other Andrias. Apparently anything they can grab and overpower..

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1