Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ozark sal habitat IV- "twighlight zone"

N

nate

Here's some photos of a cave habitat.

The cave is located on the banks of the Gasconade River
14976.jpg

The small entrance
14977.jpg

The so-called "twilight zone" mentioned in field guides. Here Eurycea lucifuga, Eurycea longicauda melanopleura, and Plethodon albagula can be found amidst the rock rubble.
14978.jpg

Further back, we reach a subterranean stream. There were 30+ pickerel frogs Rana palustris which are frequent cave inhabitants.
14979.jpg

Further on, the cave became far too muddy to take photos as the fine mud and high humidity is notorious for destroying cameras. E. spelaeus were also found deeper in the cave but we did not risk the camera. In some places, the fine, silty mud was literally hip-deep.

(Message edited by nate on April 19, 2004)

R

russ

I need to show you those nice rocky caves down by Noel, no mud.

RUSS

N

nate

Hi Russ, I've been in several caves down in the Noel area. Many have since been gated, though, and even more are badly polluted/vandalized. Next time you're down in the area, we should really meet up.

C

coen

Holland is so boring compared to all the habitat pics you guys show here!

Nice pics Nate!

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Holland is not boring at all if you come to appreciate all the pools with alpestris, vulgaris, cristatus and the odd helveticus in them...and pools we have here....

C

coen

That's true jan, however here in the southwest is vulgaris the only specie you're likely to find.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1