Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

More pics...(Salamandrina)

L

leonardo

here are more pics of Salamandrina's habitat and wild specimens...there are so few photos on the web so I think this could be a useful post to do...eheheh

this is a breeding site in near Genova...
14955.jpg

this is "my" breeding site, near Rome...
14956.jpg

three specimens gong under the rocks to lay eggs(note:there is one specimens which has white "ankles")
14957.jpg

two specimens (one particularly paler than the usual)
14958.jpg

hanging around...
14959.jpg

eggs!
14960.jpg

they cohabit with a huge population of Rana italica...
14961.jpg

N

nate

Fantastic Leo. Are the adults really out in the open like that during the day or did you have to move a few for photos?

L

leonardo

Nate, they usually are hidden under underwater logs, leaves and rocks...sometimes you can find a specimen or two hanging around during the day, but they usually are hidden...
these pics (with animals in the water) have been made just after have picked a rock up...
this photo below shows how they are (without picking up anything)...

the red of the tail can be a great signal!eheheh
14964.jpg

bye
Leo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1