Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2(Triturus' habitat)

L

leonardo

here is a particular habitat, in which live T.italicus,T.carnifex and vulgaris together...very beautiful to see and very very interesting...

14935.jpg

14936.jpg

this canal for irrigation was no deeper than 30cm in the deepest part, and most of it was about 10cm...was right in the city near a motorway...maybe this site will be destroyed this year or next...
breeding Triturus vulgaris was very common in the canal with Bufo viridis (was mid April).
14937.jpg

14938.jpg

U

uwe

Beautiful pictures!.
In which region are these places located?

Uwe

L

leonardo

the first site is in Lazio, on Aurunci's mountains
the second one is in Emilia Romagna, near Rimini

bye
Leo

(Message edited by leonardo on April 18, 2004)

N

nate

Wow, it seems that any newts falling into that well would have a very difficult time getting out. Were they "permanent" residents?

L

leonardo

part of the newts'population lives there all year round, especially T.italicus and (less) T.carnifex...moreover there are many neotenic specimens (vulgaris "in primis", but also many italicus and some carnifex)...
by the way, many juveniles go out of these wells in summer and come back there as mature adults...

bye
Leo

J

juraj

It`s so frustrating to read that another place for breeding will be destroyed.
Very nice photos anyway.

L

leonardo

you're so right Juraj...I was thinking about informing about the exact date of the start of the destruction, so I could catch all the adults I can to take them to a safer place near there...I think I'll do it if I can...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1