Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
12333.jpg

Female or male?

12337.jpg

Here's the other. I'm hoping I have a pair. If I don't, that explains why I've had no eggs from them for the year or so that I've had them.

12341.jpg

12342.jpg

This one here is easy to tell from the other because its ventrum is so veiny
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by TJ on February 19, 2004)

Geez, Tim, first the pooping axolotl, now taricha genitals. Your pets get NO privacy!

Have you seen them in amplexus? (I seem to recall...) That would identify at least one as male.

hey tim (and jen),

These are the same ones as when you posted amplexus pictures? (In which case, that answers Jen's question that at least one is male)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/985/1682.html

btw, beautiful pictures as always. especially since it's Taricha.

(Message edited by apples on February 20, 2004)

Well, I did see them before in amplexus, but hey, for all I know they could originally be from San Francisco
lol.gif

But seriously, aren't male Taricha known to engage in amplexus with other male Taricha in the absence of females? I mean, I've even seen pics before of newts of different species engaged in intraspecies amplexus (though I highly doubt the females in these cases were willing partners!).

They might even both be females. My cocker spaniel "amplexes" my leg all the time even though female dogs are "not supposed to" do that...
smile6.gif

Even if they are a male-female pair, which is which? Is it possible to sex Taricha only by observing their genitals/cloaca? Any other way? (tail length, etc.)

Yes, do I realize I'm invading their privacy
blush.gif
, but only for the sake of pushing the frontiers of science!
biggrin.gif

When I kept Taricha Granulosa, my larger male spent a lot of time on top of his smaller male tankmate. I don't like talking about this and stirring up painful memories, but he also tried to get it on with my finger once. If anyone wants to find out how strong Taricha newts are, try prying them off of your hand during mating season.

Hi Tim,
my first thought was two females, but I've never heard of amplexus between females. Wouldn't make any sense at all!? I've seen amplexus between males sometimes and more often between males and not clearly sexed juvies.
So I'd say the above one with the more yellow belly is a female, the more orange one could be a male.
Males have stronger forearms and grow bigger than females. How old are they, what size?
I'd watch the next amplexus and be quite sure the upper one is a male.
Not really a big help
Fabian

Hi Tim,

if you shure that these a T.granulosa I suppose that this animals are both female. In T.granulosa the cloacae of the male is clearly banded with dark color, this is even in part so in non-breeding time.

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back