How are the U.S. Kweichows doing?

D

david

So far so good as far as I know. I purchased 48 for 6 collectors to try and start up breeding groups. To the best of my knowledge, only one of the 48 has died so far. The animals I kept for myself seem to be eating well and settling in nicely. They seem to be a very nice hardy newt and look very impressive indeed. Some of mine are spending a lot of time in the water. Besides the ones I purchased, I know there were others who bought them. How are your animals doing so far? I also know it's still early, but let's all keep each other updated.

(Message edited by dln on July 22, 2004)

all my 7 are fine and the ones with the sores and tail missing are fine-i am worried though about that one vet who dewormed his and lost all the females from the death of the high parasite load...the kweis are not the ones i worry about as much as the shanjings - alot of those have been lost i hear. i am going to take a guess that these will be alot easier to establish breedings from than the more easily obtained shanjings -which is unfortunate cause those are collected in much higher numbers in the wild.

All of mine are doing great and taking worms right out of my hand. Very hardy and adjusting to captivity well. None of the animals I got had sores or bruises or missing limbs etc.,so I expect I got some of the better animals out of the bunch. Do hope to breed them as I'm sure everyone else does. Great looking animals overall, still curious how they made it out of China. lol
-Travis

Mine are doing good, Seem to have stabilized, I did lose two in the first week but everything is looking good, I have started them on Panacur and Metradonizole. There is one with a wound that looks to be healing on its own, I do have meds(baytril, and a topical skin cream) for the one with a wound(that is healing nicely), But other than that they are all doing good, Glad to hear everyone else is having good fortune!.

They are taking very well to Bloodworms and Canadian Nightcrawlers(Great food to dust vitamins onto)

(Message edited by joshs on July 22, 2004)

Mine are doing great. I've decided not to medicate unless they have obvious health problems.

Thats good to hear, And I wish everyone the best of luck with breeding!

With all these new animals coming in I would recommend we all use the USCR and post them. I just put mine up there. It is usefull for keeping us all in contact, although most of us can get each others email it helps if someone else outside of the loop finds the site and needs a spare male etc. It is amazing how many times I have been contacted through the USRC.
-Travis

A quick update. Mine seem to be doing well. They eat well and some are spending more time in the water. Isaiah has a male depositing sperm.

I lost one early on out of the five that I purchased. I also lost one out of the seven shanjings a few weeks later - this one was especially disheartening because it was eating well and otherwise looked fine. All others of both species appear to be doing very well. Many even pace the enclosures begging for food when I enter the room. I still have them in quarantine.
Chip Reves

I have yet to add my two cents to this thread, so here goes... Of the 12 that I bought all are still alive and eating very well. I have at least 4 in the water at all times, usually others will join them for most of the day and spend their nights on land. My "big mama" has been spending much more time in the water lately so I keep my fingers crossed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back