Physical differences between T. asperrimus and T. wenxianensis

K

kwok

Does any one know the physical difference between the two species I mentioned in the subject line?

The following picture is the T. wenxianensis I am keeping currently.

17626.jpg

Have you seen this before? I hope it helps
biggrin.gif

17631.jpg

17632.jpg

17633.jpg

Source: Rare and Economic Amphibians of China (1993)

Hi all,

From what I know, asperrimus should be more echinotriton like (flat head like E. andersoni, the ribs can clearly be seen). Wenxianensis is more tylototriton like, the ribs are not to obvious and the head looks more like that of kweichowensis and shanjing.

tim-i can understand the title 'rare'- but what do they mean by economic amphibians? - is this a reference to id them for 'medical'(traditional) purposes?

Well, as long as Kwok understands it
lol.gif

Paris, I don't know why the book is named as it is. It certainly is a strange way to approach the subject. Then again, that's the way a lot of people think, that the only worth an animal has is in the degree to which it is of potential benefit to humans
sad.gif

Well, chinese scientific research,......
Wouter: You´re wrong,....
My opinion: think of verrucosus as a mess as a species, and wait for further, modern phylogenetic ways of describing species,....
Ther´s still a lot of work to do, especially when there are still new forms to be found,....
Greets,
Philipp

Kwok, here's some more info:

19986.jpg

Don't hesitate to translate the main points for us
lol.gif

How is your wenxianensis doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back