Considering getting one

J

jaia

Hey

I am getting a reptile tank (not thick enough to hold water like a fish tank), that is 4ft long, 2 ft tall and 1.5ft wide and I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the tylototriton newts. They are just stunning. The ones that grabbed my attenion are Tylototriton wenxianensis , Tylototriton shanjing and another I think but I am getting confused with all the different names each site uses....so I am going to stay kinda general.

A few questions. How many would be happy in a tank that size, I also prefer to double most standards and provide that little extra space for them?

Can I have any mix of sexes...2males and some females, or only one male and females?

Do they like climbing and is a habitat that is tall better or one that is low and wide better?

I know there are a few "types or species" in this "family" or is it subspecies in species...lol?. Is one easier to care for than the other or more recommended for a first timer?

Is one more available than the other (In Canada)?

Which types are readily available that are not wild caught....I know some animals in pet trade are only available via WC and as such not interested in them. I wish for a CB animal.

What price (CDN $$) can I expect to pay.

Thank You in advance for any replies. It may seem I have not done my homework, but I now wish to hear from experienced keepers of this species.

Thanks

Hi
The best Tylotriton to start with, in my opinion, is verrucosus. In the tank you describe you could keep a group of 2 males and 3 females. They don't climb, so a wider tank is better.

Greets

Yes, a wider less-tall tank is better. Any mix of sexes will be OK for any Tylototriton, as far as I know.

T. verrucosus need water, and her tank is terrestrial only. Most likely you might find T. shanjing, but it's hit or miss to find any Tylotos.

You will almost certainly not find captive bred ones. Wild caught imports sell for US$20 - $75, depending on who is setting the price.

Dang it.....I really would rather not support the WC "trade".....I would even pay more for a CB one......ahhh, ethics ethics ethics. Are these guys endangered or rare or any other listing in CITES?

Do tylotritons not breed in captivity well or something or is there just no interest in it as these are not common or popular?

The tank can hold a small volume of water (most likely with a divided section) or I can provide a bowl (larger) for water, it just can't be used as a full fledged (even half full) fish tank without resealing..... but I would prefer a slightly more terrestrial species. As I already have roughly 500 gallons of water in the house (winks winks.....my turtles...smiles).

Thanks for the replies so far....they have been most helpful.

T. verrucosus breed easily in captivity, but are just beginning to be established/bred in North America. The other Tylotos are either challenging to breed, or haven't been imported in enough numbers to be available. I don't know about the rarity status of them in the wild, but overcollection is probably affecting them.

If you are really committed to having CB animals, you should keep in touch with other folks in Canada who keep newts seriously - sooner or later someone will probably have some eggs or offspring to share. But you wouldn't have much choice in what species it might be, and you would have to raise them from young.

if you wait about a year you may be able to find CB tylo's more readily, as quite a few people on this site have have bought them in the most recent importation with the aspiration of setting up breeding colonies (myself included).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back