Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Odd behavior

I

ira

Two of my new T. shanjing are acting weird. I have them in seperate enclosures (tupperwares that house 4 newts each) so that i can monitor their eating habits, but two of them, no matter how i seperate them, always end up together in the same enclosure after i come home from work. This has me worried because neither of them are eating, and one is extremely emaciated (though still very active and alert). The emaciated one ate two big chunks of earthworm about 3 days ago, but has refusued all food since it found a buddy. I beleive they are male/female too. now, i really want them both to survive, any tips on what i should do? should i move them to different tupperwarse untill the emaciated one puts on some weight and then let them move in together or should i just let them be and see if they start feeding on their own?

I

ira

well, i decided to just keep food available to them 24-7, because they seem to get freaked out if i sepearate them, and the food has been dissappearing and i think the skinny one is eating. i am keeping my fingers crossed.

I

ira

so, i guess they still arnt eating very much, 1 peice of worm dissappears every few days, and i am not sure which one is eating it. Tonight i am going to rearrange my set up, going to change all the bedding material, and move the 2 sick newts to their own tupperware and start housing the other 4 together. I hope this works.

M

mark

Try feeding them with tweezers. It works very well with mine.
Good luck

Mark

I

ira

well, the skinny ate again today, and is beginning to look alot chubbier than when he arrived. horray!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!