Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mass imports of T. shanjing and T. kweichowensis

F

frank

HI,

Unfortunately, there have been two large imports of T. shanjing and T. kweichowensis into Europe. Unfortunately because the status of these species in China is unknown (unless someone has relevant information) and most of the imported animals die within one year of importation. I know I shouldn' t post this on the net but I see it for the good of the salamanders: most of these animals are under a lot of stress: high densities, high temperatures, unhygienic keeping, (sometimes extremely) high parasitic loads resulting in immunocompromised animals. If you inspect these imported animals, look VERY carefully for ulcers, wounds, abnormal skin coloration, swollen limbs or tails and black pustulae. These are invariably bacterial infections, yielding nice and pure cultures of Aeromonas, Flavobacterium, Pseudomonas and many others and, in my experience, MUST be treated with antibiotics (even the tiniest wound!). My treatment protocol of recently imported salamanders (mostly from Asia) is:
treatment against flagellates using metronidazole
treatment against nematodes using fenbendazole
if signs of bacterial infections: antimicrobial treatment based on antimicrobial sensitivity testing. I will not start giving dosages on the internet because this could get me into trouble with my colleagues.
It really DOES pay to go to a qualified vet with salamanders and newts too (although unfortunately only very few are acquainted with urodelans)...
I hope that lots of people will follow the example of enthusiasts such as Philipp Grundtner (who holds the studbook aren't you?) who do an effort to maintain this species by setting up breeding programs.

R

ralf

Thank you very much for the info, Frank. Should help some people to point their veterinarians into the right direction.

P

philipp

Hi all
Well, thanks Ralf:D
My harddisk is broken, so all data is gone. But I´m still doing that studbook on T.shanjing, and I really do think that it´s a crime, importing that masses of animals, that are protected in china....
The worst thing is, that even people, i normally thought of being intelligent and whatever, start losing their voices, to protect own trades.
some are even pushing a market for upcoming breeding success,...
that´s sick.
Greets,
Philipp

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1