Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

E. andersoni article sought

TJ

Reaction score
I am in urgent need of this article from the magazine Herpetologica, Volume 48, pages 178-184.

"Allozyme variation in the newt Tylototriton�@andersoni from three islands of the Ryukyu Archipelago."

If anybody has this, I would much appreciate receiving a scanned copy of it by e-mail, even just a portion of it that I am particularly after. Thanks in advance!

C

chris

Tim I will try to get hold if it for u, but I can't promise anything...
happy.gif

I'll mail it to u if I get it.
Chris

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm really just after part of the report that says laboratory research has shown that E.andersoni, despite its "primitive" appearance, is not necessarily an older species than C.ensicauda. This finding apparently came as a surprise to Japanese herpetologists. But I can't vouch for this until seeing the original report.

(Message edited by TJ on March 05, 2004)

V

vincent

Hi, I also want to have one, do you mind send the article to me???
Thank You

C

chris

I will scan it and send to both of you IF I mannage to get it.
Chris

B

brian

If you can't I can get it. I don't have the pdf program though so I'd have to jpg stuff. Am pretty busy until next week though.

V

vincent

Thank You! I am Looking forward to receiving your information

TJ

Reaction score
Yes, I'd appreciate it if anybody can get it. My window of opportunity is closing fast as I have to submit a report soon. Even if you can just spell out for me what it says about C.ensicauda in relation to E. andersoni on the subject of how long they're thought to have occurred in their current habitat, that'd be sufficient. By the way, I doubt it actually says anything regarding E.andersoni's primitive appearance. That was just me ad-libbing
lol.gif

C

chris

Tim
sorry, can't get it for you...
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
Brian - couild you mail me a copy aswell...
Chris

B

brian

Yeah, but I have a couple of Herp class tests this week. I can't get it until Thurs. earliest and Monday latest, then I'll have to scan it.

I don't think that journal went electronic yet.

B

brian

Ok I got it, just give me a little while to scan it. Remember I don't have a PDF program so I have to basically make a bunch of jpgs, hopefully they will be readable and not too big.

B

brian

OK, it's scanned, but it's still a little over 5 MB. I'm going to try to send tommorow, but make sure you have room. I did leave out one page of references to cut down on the size. If anyone need's it for some reason I can include it.

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Brian, I'll be looking forward to it! No problem about size. Fire away! ;)

B

brian

Vincent, I don't have an email listed for you when I check on the board. So I can't send it to you until I get one.

In theory I'm mailing now so over my 56K expect it in an hour or so.

Tim, if your doing your report do you need the extra page with references or the page that only has a sentence on it that lists serial numbers for muesum specimens?

I'm leaving them out for now just so I can get the meat of the paper out.

H

henk

Hai Tim, still gotta dive into my collection , but these are the papers I got on E. andersoni. I am willing to photocopy them and send them to you by normal mail. If you would have other articles on them or on Hynobius I would be interested obtaining them myself...

Echinotriton andersoni
Inge R. Key to Riu-Kiu salamanders Fieldiana Zoology
Utsonomiya On the development of Tylototriton Andersoni ASFA
Schottler Th. Ein Krokodilmolch aus Japan Herpetofauna
Nussbaum&Brodie Partitioning o/t salamandrid genus Tylototriton Anderson ... Herpetologica
Hayashi et Al Allozyme Variation .. from 3 Islands o/t RyuKyu Archipelago Herpetologica
Sparreboom M. Feldbeobachtungen an Cynops Ensicauda&Tylototriton Andersoni Urodela Info

I am trying to put my database back on order, but still have plenty of work to do so. It currently hold 3500 references, but I gotta add some 500 more that I have not yet numbered and entered.

TJ

Reaction score
Brian, I received them and am very grateful. The info in them is better than expected and very timely. Thanks a lot! I'll try to return the favor some day ;)

Henk, thanks for the info. I'm all set for now but may inquire after one of the reports in the future. A very impressive database you have there!

TJ

Reaction score
Brian, just provide me with any addresses where you want it sent and I can do it for you over my LAN connection ;)

TJ

Reaction score
Here's the abstract:

ALLOZYME VARIATION IN THE NEWT TYLOTOTRITON-ANDERSONI FROM 3 ISLANDS OF THE RYUKYU ARCHIPELAGO

HAYASHI T; MATSUI M; UTSUNOMIYA T; TANAKA S; OTA H

Using starch gel electrophoresis, we examined allozyme variation at 24 presumptive loci in specimens of Tylototriton andersoni collected from three islands of the Ryukyu Archipelago: Amami-Oshima, Tokunoshima, and Okinawajima. Levels of genetic variability within island samples (H = 0.050-0.082, P = 0.21-0.38, A = 1.25-1.58) are within the intrapopulational range previously reported for other salamandrids. The sample from Okinawajima is different from the Amami-Oshima and Tokunoshima samples with Nei's genetic distance (D) of 0.09- 0.12, whereas the level of differentiation between the latter two is lower (D = 0.02). This pattern of genetic differentiation within T. andersoni coincides well with the geological history of the three islands.

R

ralf

Also coincides well with the distribution of the two different subspecies of C. ensicauda.

Ralf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1