Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kweichow Crocodile Newt

V

vincent

hi, i bought 6 Kweichow Crocodile Newt(Tylototriton kweichowensis) in the local pet shop, i keep them in a big plastic box with loose substrate, and provide a water dish. i feed them crickets twice a week. Can you share the care sheet about this newt??? (especially the
breeding section) Thank You!!! ^_^

F

foster

Where do you live? I'm in the US (Va) and would love to find T. kweichowensis at one of my local shops (or even on a dealers list).
Chip Reves

R

ralf

Hello Vincent,
southern China is quite an interesting place to live, when you're interested in newts and salamanders. Are there any newts or salamanders where you live, besides the ones in the petshop?
biggrin.gif

Did you ever find any outside?
If so, we'd all be interested in some pictures since few people from China seem to visit this forum.

Ralf

P

philipp

Hi
Yes, would be interesting to get pics, especially of T.verrucosus that are real chinese inhabitants and of T.shanjing of different areas plus animals of the T.asperrimus-komplex.
Another thing that´s astonishing to me, is that T.kweichowensis is heavily protected in China, though this unfortunately seems to be just a formal fact,.....
Some dates: I keep several kweichowensis in tanks about 60x50 cm for four Adults, half land , half water.Temperatures range from 5°C in winter(which still seems to be to warm,....) to 32°C at some summer days (should be an exception,....).
Greets,
Philipp

V

vincent

Hi

I want to take some T.kweichowensis photoes, but I didn't have the DC, becasue It is very expensive for me. (i just have $6000 earnings a month and the DC need above $3000-10000 that make me very upset ToT ) If i have save enough money, i will buy 1.

Some species i usually found in the pet shop such as chinese Fire Bellies, Okinawa salamander, Chinese Warty Newt, Shangcheng fat salamander, Wenxian knobby newt, also i can caught Hong Kong Newt outside.

V

vincent

hi
Today, my friend help me take a picture with my newt!!! ^o^

11919.jpg

J

juraj

Hi Vincent,

great animal, please don´t handle him (her) this way often.

P

philipp

Hi
I would be pleased to get pics of those "Wenxian warty newts", cause I saw some, which actually were Paramesotriton! Are those Okinawan Salamanders Echinotriton or Cynops or Hynobius?
Any pics of YOUR verrucosus?
Greets,
Philipp
(eeerh, to me it´s "him":D)

(Message edited by grundtner on February 04, 2004)

V

vincent

hi
i don't know too many about this salamanders and newts, because i'm the begainer to keep aniamls ^_^

Verrucosus??? is it Himalayan Crocodile Newt??? I haven't take photoes with them....... if i take some pictures with Himalayan Crocodile Newt, i will share with you. ^_^

(Message edited by vincentwan2004 on February 05, 2004)

H

henk

Vincend t, we wish to thank you for the efforts in sharing the images with us. As already mentioned China is indeed a very good place for salamanderlovers since there is alot of material getting in the european market that are expors from China and from time to time new animals,which we have never seen before are offerede on the petshops overhere. First we did get alot of Pachytritons , then came alot of Paramesotriton and currently other things like Pachyhynobius seem to cross over. And then I have just forgot to talk on Cynops cyanurus and some Tylototriton species... So I hope you stay on this board since so far I think you are the sole Chinese salamander contact we have out there.
Thanks for your appreiciated efforts..

V

vincent

I think that this is a great forum. Many people like to visit there and discussing about Caudata, i feel very happy because there is not many Caudata hobbyist in my local, and although my english is not good, people are still understand what i talking about.

After i join this forum, I gain knowledge about the newts and salamander from this site. (Also i can improve my English ^_^)

(I know that there have some chinese people visit there, but they never post any message.)

J

john

I'm glad you like the forum Vincent and I hope you continue to contribute to it
happy.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Vincent. It's a similar situation here in Japan too. Japanese hobbyists visit this site, but almost never post here. Sometimes they post links to info contained here Japanese discussion boards though. It sure would be nice to have more Asians around
biggrin.gif

A

alex

I'm one!!!
but sad to say singapore does not have any newts of our own.......

V

vincent

Hi, today i bought some kweichowensis at the pet shop again, also i bought another chinese species newts, i think which is "Genus: Tylototriton", its body is back, and i will try to take some photo with it later.

P

philipp

So Jesper,
Ladies Man:D Unfortunately, i had to much beer last time when having a camera, so no pics of mine can challenge with you,...
But becoming "on-topic" again:
Yes, sad but true, China isn´t that hard in living with laws, at least when talking of animals,.....
Just take a look at the "China red data book", which unfortunately doesn´t include skinks and other "not that spectacular" lizards, though they´re heavily traded too.
As an oracle, i think of the black Tylototriton, being sold either as "aperrimus", or "wenxianensis", but what wasn´t that sure, when thinking of what was shown to me already,....
But Vincent: Be prepared of persons, trying to get you, shipping animals,.....
Cheers,
Ladies Pet,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1