Where did they come from, Jonn Clare

C

chris

Was it just a lucky visit to a pet shop or what that started the T. Verrucosus legacy, John?
Chris

OK, here is the story. Mine were bred in Germany by Peter Umminger. He seems to have acquired his from Max Sparreboom (Netherlands) who acquired his from a petshop. It's possible Peter got them from someone else who got them from Max but they are definitely the same group (Max told me this himself). So there's the story.

Max started it all for this particular variation. There are other variants going around that came in through the pet trade but they tend to be a lighter brown, bigger and slightly different looking to the ones Max acquired. My own belief is that Max's were a distinct subspecies. I'm happy to say I'm winning converts to this school of thought in the UK and Germany, though to be convinced one needs to see adults together. It's difficult with just juveniles.

There's an article in elaphe from 1997 (?) by Max all about Tylototriton verrucosus and it has fantastic photos of the originals - mirror images of my own.

Good morning,...
Sorry,but i think,that the animals of P.Umminger originate in pet trade,...
But I´m not sure about that any longer,...
Myself, I do keep CB animals(adult now) of this population and of the group of Dr.Fleck,
which came with the same import as those of Max Sparreboom,...
2 lighter forms are also here to take care for,...;-)
Greetings,
Philipp

Interesting, but slightly confusing...
crazy.gif

Chris

Hmm, this is odd because Max Sparreboom helped me pick the animals from Peter Umminger and he said they were the same as his. I know Peter has gotten a number of animals from Jurgen Fleck in the past so perhaps Peter's originally came from that source instead, hence the same variant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back