Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

E. andersoni egg

TJ

Reaction score
Acquired this freshly laid andersoni egg today
biggrin.gif

3097.jpg

3098.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Wish I HAD some beans to spill but seems my sole egg is a dud
sad.gif
-- it remains completely white.

But I did take this pic today of some eggs be cared for by a fellow newt-lover, which seem to have some potential (though I suggested they perhaps shouldn't be kept in water like this, however shallow...)

3201.jpg

A

aaron

Tim, if those are yours, you're a lucky, lucky guy.
happy.gif
Congrats on finally getting some good eggs and good luck with the larvae.

~Aaron

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks guys. But I guess I shouldn't have just posted the pics without an explanation. The egg I acquired before didn't hatch. One of those 3 larvae is now mine to raise. I had a larvae about a year ago but it morphed much sooner than expected, climbed out of the uncovered container, and...well, the rest is a familiar story! This time around I'll be taking precautions!

(Message edited by TJ on May 28, 2003)

TJ

Reaction score
By the way, it appears the legal loophole that had allowed the capture of E.andersoni from the island of Tokunoshima (and any other islands of the Amami chain where they might be found) was closed several months ago with the passage of local legislation or a new regulation. They've long been under protection in Okinawa, where they were designated as a prefectural natural treasure back in 1978.

Guess I'll just have to accord this larvae VIN (Very Important Newt) status
lol.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Here's the one in my care. It's quite a bit lighter than the first one pictured above. Nicely peppered!

4253.jpg

(pic's somewhat distorted as container is rounded)

A

aaron

And what a fine specimen it is.
lol.gif
Could you give us a little care information for adults? Just the basics: temperature, moisture preference, and any other useful information. Thanks, and good luck

~Aaron

C

craig

HI Aaron, I have been keeping E.andersoni for a few years now, had my first successful breeding this spring. They seem to prefer temps between 5-18 degrees C, offcourse the lower during the winter. They relish earthworms, but also feed on pill bugs for me. They seem to be hardy but are very shy urodeles. I keep my individuals in a 110 gallon ( 60 * 24* 24) with ferns and moss, with layers of flat limestone. I also use layers of oak leaves piled around the ferns, which they seem to enjoy hiding in as well. Humidity wise I would suggest relatively high, but the terrarium should not be saturated. I have a misting system which sprays the enclosure twice weekly for 5min but the micro climate created by the ferns, moss ect.. allows the humidity to remain high. Thtey receive fullspectrum lighting (more for the plants) with a plastic mesh lid. I can send pics if you wish, just haven't figured it out for here. As for cb E.andersoni come fall I will donating a pair to caudata.org for auction, after the auction I will be selling some cb juvies.
Craig

R

ralf

Hi Craig,
I would very much appreciate some pics of your E. andersoni setup and some additional info on your misting system. Did you setup the tank in a wintergarden or how do you ensure lower temps during winter? At which latitude are you located, if its allowed to ask?

Ralf

C

craig

Hi Ralf, I will send pics no problem. I'm in Ottawa, Canada, cold winters! I keep them in my basement which is well insulated from the rest of the house. I allow the room to become that low in winter along with all my northern temperate species. I will e-mail you the rest!
Craig

A

aaron

craig, could you send me the pics??? I can then upload them to this site, if you'd like. please send to uscr@caudata.org rather than my normal email address because of space limitations. Thanks

~Aaron

C

craig

Hi Aaron I have sent the pics to your e-mail <<>> Please let me know where you post them.
Thanks!
Craig

J

john

Craig, you could post them yourself here actually - just use the tag \image{Title message for my photo} and after you submit the message the forums will give you a window to select the photo(s) on your hard drive to upload. It's easy.

TJ

Reaction score
Progress report on that larvae...well, I suppose this pic says it all
biggrin.gif

5315.jpg

T

travis

Tj,
Great news.Glad to see you have had good luck with them. What has their main diet been?
-Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1