Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. shanjing dead for 12 hours - then alive again.....

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
ill keep this as short as possible:

two of my mandarin newts became ill with mouthrot last week and went off their food.

Pessimisticlaly i began treatment - on monday one newt started eating and looked very bright - on tuesday the second despite looking dull accepted food

i was gutted when i found the first newt dead this morning. the rest of my day was just terrible - i was very depressed.

so

you can imagine my reaction when the newt began to breathe at 8pm after 12 hours of being clinically dead it then immediatly proceded to shed its skin and was very active

hibernation? very unusual - room is warm and other newts unnaffected...

in fact there are many questions that need answered
especially when u hear the background of the whole affair and the progress of the other newt. There are aspects of amphibian biology i have observed that i have not seen noted anywhere - but those can wait for another time

stress response??? could b tied in with shedding...

Note: when i say clinically dead the newt had zero nervous response, zero muscular reaction and was not breathing. I dumped it semi upside down ina box as i ahd no time to bury it- at 6pm it was in the same position - one that would not be tolerated by any newt no matter how ill. At 8pm it was walking around shedding its skin.

J

john

Hi.

I've seen this in both Tylototriton shanjing and Tylototriton kweichowensis. I've heard from other people of a few instances of it in T. shanjing. However, it can happen for no apparent reason. The T. kweichowensis that did it on me did it last February and is currently joint biggest of the juveniles I have: it eats like a little pig.

No one has yet put forward a likely hypothesis, as far as I'm aware :/. In both instances that it happened to me, both newts were healthy, not sick at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!