Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. helveticus + vulgaris

W

william

is it possible to keep these two species together since they live together in my garden pond? would they breed?
i'm planning to make a typical british pond side cross section in a six foot tank i have I would make some land avaliable for after breeding and lots of native plants, invertebrates, fish etc. all i want to know is that it is safe to keep these species together.

D

david

I'm not that familiar with English law, but won't you get jammed up for taking them from the pond and putting them in a tank?

mike

Reaction score
Hi Will, yes it's ok to keep and breed these two species in the same enclosure.

Dave, in Britain the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 states that it is legal to collect all life stages of palmate and smooth newts for personal use, also common frogs (Rana temporaria) and toads (B.bufo), are only debarred from collection for commercial sale or exchange. Even here a general licence is available to permit sale of adults outside the breeding season.

W

william

thanks mike. it's a pity we brits can't keep cristatus as well i've got them in my pond with the other species. a tank with all three species sure would look good. also could i keep the frogs with the newts too?

mike

Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend it Will.

Frog and toad tads are on the top of a newt's menu.

Frogs have been known to get their own back.
frog.gif

W

william

thanks again i suppose i feed tads to my pachytriton so triturus newts probably are the same

W

william

well thought you would want to know I found three vulgaris and 4 helveticus + a cristatus which i put back. and they are doing really well

can't wait till spring!!

J

jim

Hi will, im in uk to and want to attract as many amphibs (as i know that their lots around here)as i can to me new pond. Could u tell me how big your pond is about(for that many species)?

W

william

this pond happens to be a big one, about 20x15m with an island in the middle, but you don't need that for lots of amphibians. make a normal sized pond in your garden, and put loads of plants in it, also make sure at least one side is a gentle slope, it helps animals to get in and out of the pond. and then you just wait! hopefully in a few years you'll have loads of amphibians! just two rules, <u>don't</u> collect amphibians from other areas and release them into your pond, it spreads disease. and <u>don't</u> add fish, they'll eat the larvae and larger ones may eat the adults.

E

ester

Something I also heard is that it's good to have 2 or 3 smaller ponds (they can be really small) on the side. That way newts can migrate between pools on wet days yet stay in your garden.

W

william

that would be good if you had the space, also if you have the space you could try a hibernacular.

simon

Reaction score
William,

Just reading through the archives and found this so sorry its not very recent. I tried to do a similar thing some years back though on a smaller scale (what i would give for a 6ft tank!) but did not have much success. What fish and invertebrates did you put along side your newts?

W

william

in the end, i scraped that idea and bought some Triturus marmoratus and Ambystoma opacum. I hope to do something like this again in the future, maybe with an outdoor vivarium.

simon

Reaction score
When I was a kid, i used to dream of having a glass room (much like in the monster fish tank post) which I could use as a pond. One day though, who knows? Good choice with the marms though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1