Triturus karelinii juveniles

K

kaysie

I got these from Jen about a month ago.

20475.jpg

Their bellies are a very vibrant yellow-orange with black and small touches of white.

A ventral shot (the tub is kind of textured, so its a bit fuzzy, sorry)
20476.jpg

This one's a bit washed out, but shows the pattern well.
20477.jpg

This one's extremely terrestrial, rarely goes into the water. It's the runt. I also have one thats VERY light grey, pretty. I'll have to get more pics tomorrow.

Try to feed them al lot of Daphnia when they are in water, that will give them nice orange bellies in the future. You can keep them aquatic very easily, but mostly they have a short terrestrial period after metamorphosis.

Serge, 3 are mostly aquatic, while this one is only aquatic when it falls off the ramp while trying to 'kill' its worm. I'll look into daphnia

Here's a male from a previous batch (less then one year old). Looks like he's allready in the mood for love
wink.gif

20978.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back