T. cristatus development

T

tara

I have created a simple montage from pics of T. cristatus that I took during their development. I had to keep them at my lab to get pictures so they were raised at an unusually warm temperature, thus speeding their development...but you still get an idea of their progress as it happens. I am not even sure if I correctly labeled these pictures because I was taking pictures of different eggs, some of which were slightly older (1 d) than others. AEL stands for After Egg Laying.

(Message edited by edwardst on May 27, 2004)

then you try to edit your picture and you can no longer upload it.
16168.jpg

very nice to see that Tara.

What did you use to get the pics?

The pics are taken with a sony cybershot DSC-S70 mounted on a Leica dissecting microscope. I see by your quote that you are a futurama fan. I also see you have met James Woods. James was a TA of mine when I was an undergraduate student and he was a PhD student at Dalhousie. Our Biology lounge once hosted his toy cephalopod collection.
Tara

(Message edited by edwardst on May 27, 2004)

Wow, they hatched in a week? That's fast. Wonderful series of photos!

Hi again

yeah i am very heavily involved with cephalopods and i spent a while in Texas in 2002, including going to see James at the NRCC in Galveston. He is now based in Bermuda but recently had a car accident which he is recovering from... perhaps drop him a line if you still keep in touch?

That toy cephalopod collection is just HUGE!!!!

That's very, very impressive, Tara! I think we should have you do a series for Caudate Culture just like that for all the main species being kept by hobbyists
biggrin.gif

Jen
They did not hatch in a week, but they were a little premature (less than 2 weeks) at hatching. The last 2 photos are taken approximately 1 week after hatching. I have not been able to get any pictures since the newts moved home, but i would love to get a picture of the crazy cannibal.

I also made a mistake above - the camera was mounted on a Zeiss microscope not a leica.
T

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back