Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

It's breeding time again

H

henk

Well we had some warmer weather today and there was a bit of rain. Just went out with the flashlight and found about 10 to 12 T. vulgaris en T. helveticus in my little pond (about 1 meter long and about 70 cm wide). It was great to see some male about everu 20 to 30 cm around the curves. I even discovered 2 male alpestris with one heavyly loaded female.
The male vulgaris where clinged upon the sides between the green algae, hanging out halve of their body.

A

a

I saw my first wild t. vulgaris about a week ago, now theres quite a few but im still expecting loads more (aswell as 2 female cresteds)

AJfr0ggy

P

paris

oh suuuurree RUB it in!! here i am living in a caudate wasteland while you guys enjoy the good life......as tiger sals are the ONLY caudates in this region i can only see them 2 times a year, in the fall when the new morphs migrate across roads form the ever expanding suburban sprawl to their probable doom under the tires of a gas guzzling SUV (right next to the item that looks like an apple was run over BUT actually used to be a large woodhouse toad..
angel.gif
) and then again in the spring....wait that is this time of year!!...problem is the lot their vernal pool is on is the last in a subdivision, and last year there was no water for them to breed-for all i know they have built a house where it once was already (my sister tried to buy the lot once-but he raised his price from 90K to 120K)....ummm my point is you guys do have it good since you live in such prime caudate environs...BUT we have mountain lions,bears, moose, coyotes and PIGEONS!....no wait everyone had those.....(i'll trade you 50 pigeons for ONE newt.....please, please,pleeeeeasssseee!!!)well we do have the big stuff....but that's not much comfort to me......
cry.gif
.....especially if i get eaten out there looking for tigers...

ps..john we need a skull and bones clip art!!!

H

henk

Paris, Paris, Paris, .... why is it that none of us is happy where he lives ? I prefer working with mole & hynobid salamanders and like to look at (but don't keep ) Triturus species. So from my side of the story you are living at the good side of the puddle.

I have the luck of living a bit on the outsides , not in an urban environment, but Triturus are not that common. I have created some little pools (so did my neighbour) but I am sure that if we hadn't done so, and with the rate of houses getting constructed overhere there would be none left.
Anyway don't let it eat your heart out Paris, I like to walk in the US woods with a camera on my back taking slides of "tailed friends". Well out here we only have 5 species, in the Appalachians thereare about 40, in Oregon about 17 I think, these are figures to dream about for a European.
Also, I use the observations on the Triturus as a barometer to check my own animals and it works. I have just checked my tanks and found 2 next eggsacs of H. leechii (laid yesterday) and I found another place were some macrodactylum eggs were deposited.
Anyway I would love to see your tigers in nature (never saw one outside of a terrarium)...But despite all, enjoy it out there.

But now that we are there, why shoudln't we live in china, since I'm sure there's still much interesting things to discover out there

H

henk

Hai Leonardo, no I don't breed Triturus, they just occur in my pond and breed in it. I was just happy to see this.
Concerning my breedings I have succes with H. retardatus/quelpartensis. Taricha granulosa (few eggs), Ambystoma macrodactylum. I had some Cynops eggs too but these were eaten. For Pleurodeles poireti I was also too late... but I hope to retry this again

A

a

I haven't seen any eggs yet, but i think i saw a female smooth newt curling up a leaf on sunday.

AJfr0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1