Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T.Cristatus egg laying?

E

eddie

I have 2 plump females that look to be carrying eggs,1 male has been crested for weeks now,the 2 females are sniffing the live plants and pushing their feet together as if to lay an egg on the plant but when theyre done theres nothing on the plant,is this pre laying?Has this happened to anyone else?

D

david

Yes Eddie, mine did the same thing before they started regular egg laying. Glad to hear they're doing well. Look at "Hoping for Eggs for Christmas " string for the latest baby pics from my group. WHat kind of plants did you use?

R

ralf

Eddie, I've seen this behaviour in other species as well. Looks like they're "practicing" in advance.

Ralf

E

eddie

I have a few different type of plants in there,anacharis,java moss,java fern,a few others i forget the names of.Hopefully she will lay in a few days,all my newts and sals are kept in a nice cool basement,so theres no need for hibernation.Dave,theyre doing great,very hardy newts.Good pics on the baby cresteds.

E

eddie

Well it happened,i have T.cristatus eggs,not alot but about 6 that i see attached inside the small stems that are tightly squeezed together,they ignored the elodea i have in there and attached it to a java fern and another reddish type plant,i seperated them and they look fertile,they sure are picky what they lay on.}

M

mark

Hi Eddie,
good news about the eggs, good luck with them.
I think i read somewhere that the "Crested" newt group prefer laying on larger leafed plants so that could explain why they only laid on your java fern.

D

david

That's great news Eddie. I have good luck using anacharis. The leaves are big enough for them to be comfortable laying the eggs, but small enough where they're easily visible. Makes it easier to weed out the bad eggs.

E

eddie

Just to update the cristatus egg laying,she is now laying on any plant visible to the eye.She's still not done after laying for 2 weeks.How long will she keep laying?I know they lay hundreds of eggs but for how long?

D

david

Mine have mostly taken about a month to 6 weeks to finish.

D

david

By now you should have your hands full of larvae Eddie. How are they doing? Have your 2 females stopped producing yet?

E

eddie

I wouldnt say my hands are full of cristatus larvae,theres about 10 that have hatched and look good,others are still yet to hatch,but i keep them in a cool basement.That would explain the slow egg hatching,but the one female is still laying about 2 every other day as far as i can see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1