Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

To Hibernate or Not to Hibernate?

D

david

That is the question. This season I've bred cristatus, marmortus, and montandoni without formal hibernation. I know Jen has had success with her karelinii the same way. I'd like to know who else has had success breeding different triturus species without hibernation.

mike

Reaction score
I've had success with vittatus ophryticus, karelinii, dobrogicus macrosomus, carnifex, and alpestris apuanus by keeping them fully aquatic all year round, with a slight cooling through the winter.

S

sergé

What do you mean with hibernating? That you keep them whole yerar round at 15 degrees Celcius?

D

david

Hi Serge. By hibernation,I mean keeping them at 18 to 21 degrees celsius, most of the year, and then dropping them down to a 2 or 3 degrees celsius hibernation period to prepare them for breeding. Instead of putting them in a refrigerator, I reduced light to simulate winter, and just cooled them down to about 12 degrees celsius for about 6 to 8 weeks. After that, I slowly brought up the temps to normal and gradually increased light.

D

david

So after they breed, you raise the larvae to adulthood aquatically also Mike?

mike

Reaction score
I wish it was that simple David, after metamorphosis they go through their terrestrial stage for 1-2 years, before becoming aquatic again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1