Triturus montandoni protected by FFH-guideline

S

sergé

Just to inform you: Triturus montandoni was recently listed on appendixes II and IV of the Flora, fauna and habitats guideline from the European Union. Due to the expansion of the Eu with new members as Poland, new species are added to the lists of protected species.
This means that European citizens must be able to prove that the animals they keep were legally caught or were proven captive bred. This means that this species should now be dealt with in the same manner as Triturus carnifex or Triturus marmoratus which are also both listed on both appendixes.
Just to let you know, my advice for all animals you keep is to save all bills (written on name of species and name of purchaser) and if you buy CB always ask for a written/signed paper from the breeder. This way you can always show you try to be serious with the laws.

<font color="ff6000">Serge, Does this apply to the USA? Will we still see wild caught animals in the trade?</font>

No, It doesn't apply to the US apart from that the animals now has to be smuggled out of the EU to end up in the states I suppose.

Well, I`m curious so much if new laws will also tend to real protection of habitats.

No, it does indirectly apply to the US. It means that Wild caught animals in the US are only legal if they have valid permits with them which shows that they are collected with the proper papers. However, we know that many animals are illegally traded through former Sovjet countries (see Triturus karelinii which has the same protection in the EU) and end up on European and American markets.
For every private person I advise always to ask for a receipt from the store where the date of purschase and the name of the species is written or typed on, so you can always show that you have got them in a legal way. If you get them from a private person make sure you have a written paper. It is just to cover yourself up in the best way possible. Private persons are still easy prey for controlling agencies.
The traders are the ones still doing illegal business by getting animals in illegal ways, but they still stay out of jails. Sad but true.

"It means that Wild caught animals in the US are only legal if they have valid permits with them which shows that they are collected with the proper papers."

I must say that I do not quite understand, the guideline is only applicable by the EU countries no?
Having a WC montandoni from the EU won't be illegal in the states due to a EU guideline, or?

Good question Jesper, but..when facing a judge you better have your paperwork in order and at least show that you as a private person tried to do it all as good as possible. But I have never seen anyone prosecuted in the US for having illegal caught EU animals. Once there in the States nobody ask questions, like in the EU no-one asks questions if Echinotritons were caught legally in Asia or Neurergus were caught legally in Turkey when they are in the shops. But as a private person you are a more easy prey for 'wild life police'.

Juraj; well the fact that this species is listed in the FFH guideline on appendix II and IV implicates that the governement must propose protected area's for this species (area's of the Karpate mountains are already protected in Poland for instance)but also outside these area's habitats of this species are strictly protected. But I don't know if in Poland the building of houses will be stopped because of Triturus montandoni living there, but this has been the case here in the Netherlands with Triturus cristatus (which has the same EU protection).

Serge,
How does enforcing of proposals for environmental protection of areas work? Does it get on?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back