Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small-Bodied Triturus species

M

mark

I was wondering if anyone could post pictures of there small-bodied Triturus species and their set-ups?
Especially T.boscai, T.montandoni and T.pygmaeus.
Thanks in advance, Mark

D

david

There will be some montandoni pics in my article in the upcoming newsletter. In the mean time here's a baby pic.
your_image.gif

D

david

Sorry,
Image was to large and I don't have editing software on my laptop. I'll work it out on my home PC tonight

J

jesper

Oh, you mean the "magazine" or whatever that caudata.org is releasing? It's still being edited you have to wait a little longer, I don't know where John will put it, but I do believe it will be quite obvious when finished.

J

jesper

It was a joke? I thought she meant the newsletter Dave mentioned
blush.gif

D

david

Here's the pics I promised. Proud Papa, Momma and a bunch of the little babies.
12878.jpg

12879.jpg

12877.jpg

E

elizabeth

<font color="ff6000">WOW! How many are there? I know counting must be a pain. The container seems small for so many, are you moving them into separate rearing containers soon to prevent cannibalism?</font>

D

david

That was just a gathering tray. I'll break them down by sizes into about 3 trays to start off with. I need to keep them dense to feed them the baby brine shrimp and microworms for a few weeks until I can get them big enough for daphnia

P

pin-pin

sounds like a full house.
happy.gif
what is that ball next to the papa's head (looks almost like a ball of worms?)

E

eddie

What do you feed them at this stage?Anything available seems to big for them,do they eat blackworms at this stage?Im curious to know because ive got alot of T.cristatus eggs and some T.boscai larvae.

L

leonardo

in this moment I'm raising about 60 ensicauda popei larvae, 20 boscai larvae and an incredible number of Tylototriton verrucosus larvae (about 50 from the first batch and 70 more from the last one)...and they all feed (or fed, as now someone is too big for it) mainly on Artemia salina...when they reach 2/2,5 cm I start feeding also very fine-chopped earthworms and bloodworms...
bye
Leo

D

david

Hi Eddie, I haven't kept boscai, but as far as the cristatus go, I've had really good luck with starting them on daphnia. The daphnia reproduce pretty quickly and the newt larvae start out eating the baby daphnia, then the adults. I've got alot of cristatus larvae now that are over 2 inches. I've done the same thing with my marmortus babies and they are doing well. The montandoni are a different story. They are a much smaller larvae so I've started them on baby brine shrimp and microworms and they're growing fast. They'll be switched over to daphnia in a week or two

D

david

And yes Pin Pin. That's a ball of blackworms. The Momma needs to keep up her strength to lay eggs, and she loves her blackworms
wink.gif

M

mark

Hi all, thanks for the responces.
Dave: Nice pics, keep up the good work.
Leo: Good luck with all those eggs. Where did you get your Boscai eggs from?
Eddie: Good luck luck with your eggs to.
I have a question for Leo&Eddie, do you have any pics of the Boscai?
Thanks, Mark

L

leonardo

thank you Mark!
I got my boscai's eggs from a friend...they are from Barcelona (Spain)
I've not pics of my boscai on this pc...I'll post some tomorrow!
bye
leo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1