Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus vittatus vittatus

caleb

Reaction score
A friend of mine here in the UK has bred this species in the past, he is looking for more adults to complete his breeding group at present.

Most people in the UK have T. v. ophryticus. What differences have you found? Some hobbyists say that T. v. vittatus are smaller, but there are records of 16cm males in the scientific literature.

K

kamil-david

Hi!

Mine are all very small (~ 7cm)

But I have 1,4 and I hope to breed them soon...It is not sure but I think that chances are good.
Here in Germany am I the only one I (!) KNOW who keeps T. vit .vit. The guy I have mine from lives in Austria.

So I'm looking for other Keepers...

Greetings,

Kamil

S

sergé

Hi Kamil,

I have some too. The male is in breeding condition right now and the female is in water as well. I keep them seperate and will put them togehter this week. My experience with T. v. ophryticus is that males tend to spend all their energy on breeding in stead of feeding if females are around. That's why I keep them seperate and only put them together for short periods. If I get eggs and larvaes I'll let you know.

S

sergé

9692.jpg
. This is from three weeks ago.

Y

yago

Beatiful animal Sergé. I do have both subspecies as well. I am currently looking for the Syrian subspecie. Does anybody breed t.vittatus cilicensis?
Best wishes

S

sergé

T. v. ciliciensis is not a syrian subspecies, but a turkish one. According to the general idea in Israël, Syria, Lebanon and south point east of Adana in Turkey are all T.v.v. and west and north of Adana (Turkey) is all T.v. cilicensis. In the new german handbook is a good overview shown (from an article published by Franzen & Schmidtler in the german magazine Salamandra a few years ago). A old former subspecies like 'excubitor' is no longer valid. The problem with these old descriptions is that there were mostly only few animals and they never could see variation within the population. The animals can start breeding at very small size (like T. pygmaeus) or can have different shapes in crest.
I have T. v. cilicensis as well. I hope they will breed..so if they do I'll let you know.

Y

yago

Thanks for the info and the offer if you succeed breeding them.
Keep in touch
Yago

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!