T. Karelini?

duncan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Duncan
Hi All,
I have had 6 "crested newts" for over a year now and recently one has started to crest up. This male is different than the other 5, which I am pretty sure are all T. cristatus. I think this male might be T. karelini. I was wondering if anyone might confirm this?
Thanks,
Duncan
8500.jpg

Here's another shot of him.
Duncan
8503.jpg

I have all 4 Crested species, and your male looks like my Karelinii. Usually Karelinii don't have small white spots on the body side, or very few, and they are the only crested with yellow/orange throat. Note that they are the bigger of all crested and if I remember well the ones who have the smaller number of ribs....
On the other hand, this is maybe a Hybrid.....
Hope I help
Eric

Hi Duncan,
I would agree with your origanal guess that this newt is T.karelinii.

Hi Duncan,

I would like to ask how will you keep him ? Separately or let him with Cristatus together ?

Hi Juraj,
For the time being I'll keep him in with the T. cristatus. They're in a 66 gal aquarium and haven't shown any extended signs of breeding. In fact, since I took the pictures above, his dorsal crest, what little there was, has started to recede. When I make a serious effort to breed them or they show true signs that they might reproduce, I'll take him out so that he doesn't inadvertently fertilize the cristatus and create hybrids.
Duncan

Thanks Duncan,
I`m always curious if mixing (sub)species in captivity doesn`t tend possible hybrids.

Here's a pic of one of my male T. cristatus that are in with the above T. karelini. Is there a difference? I think so based on the amount of white spotting on the sides, and the fact the belly orange and black spotting doesn't extend to the throat as much in the cristatus specimens I have (compared to the one karelini). What do you think?
Duncan
10230.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back