Crested newt eggs...again!

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
8052.jpg

This would be the second batch this year and comes just as the males are cresting. Well, true be told, I'm just assuming these are Triturus eggs because they share a large tank with some Cynops pyrrhogaster of various races.

They're much greener than I seem to recall:

8053.jpg

Here is another egg in the same tank, which I'm assuming is that of a C.p due to its dark color:

8054.jpg

Would anybody disagree with this assumption? It's not only the new eggs that are green but also the larvae inside more developed eggs. Here are a couple pics of some more eggs found today that are at different stages of development:

8055.jpg

8056.jpg

Pics from the last time they laid eggs are at:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/2336.html?1044814252

I regret to say I failed to successfully raise the larvae at that time. Also, I didn't have a decent camera then, so it's a bit hard to see the eggs to compare them with the latest batch.

Here's a pic of one of my two males:

8060.jpg

Hi Tim
I consider that your t.cristatus are t.karelinii. And I would say that are Ukrainian t.karelinii for their characteristic colorations and structure.
Well, it is nice to discover new specie in your aquariums, isn’t it?
Best wishes

Based on the color, yes, I'd say the white/greenish ones are Triturus.

I would say in my scientific opinion, that those green eggs and larvae are due to radioactivity. If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times... stop taking your baby newts/sals on field trips to the nuclear power plant!
lol.gif

And just so everyone knows, I'm kidding guys. Don't write me posts saying that I'm an idiot.
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back