Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hibernating T. Marmoratus

F

francesco

Is it better to place the terrarium outside during winter or to keep them in a refrigerator at 5° C for a couple of months? If I decided to put them in the refrigerator in a plastic box would ventilation be necessary? I mean: is ventilation important for them even during hibernation?
Ciao

L

leonardo

ciao Francesco!
from what I read and heard about hibernating marmoratus I think that ventilation is VERY important even during winter for this species...
by the way, I'll keep my marmoratus outside this winter, from now to the end of February...
bye
Leo

D

damian

Ive no experience with hibernating as I've never done this with my Marbled Newts.I keep them at around 7-10 degrees celsius through the winter
with no artificial lighting and they enter the water to breed in the spring readily
Regards Damian

S

sergé

I have hibernated them in the fridge, between my vegetables in a small container with moist moss and dry leaves on top. Not wet! There they stayed for 3-4 months and then I transferred them to a warmer room for several weeks (10-15 degrees Celcius) and then transferred them into the aquarium. But wehter you use a fridge or outside you justb have to do regullar checks to see if the temperature stays okay and the moss doens't dry out (a fridge is very dry!).
However...some Triturus marmoratus populations/individuals already enter water in autumn and hibernate in water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!