Can and should I keep them aquatic?

D

david

I have recently aquired a few species of Triturus. I have had cristatus for 1 year. They are all living in the terrestrial stage. Much of the reading I have done suggests keeping them aquatic. I would prefer this as well, as I am used to keeping newts this way, and I can chill them easily in the summer and for the cool down period. Is this a good idea and how should I go about getting them aquatic if so?

Yes it is a good idea.It's easier to keep them in water.Place them first in shallow water (4-5cm deep)so they can get used to it. If you see they're doing all right and they're not wanting to get out after a day you can moove them to an aquarium. Perhaps I would put something that breakes the water surfice (stone or piece of wood) just to be sure they won't drown and they can get out of water if they wanted to.

Thanks for the info. What do you do when you chill them down for the winter? Do I leave them in water then as well?

I don't know were you live but I live in Italy and I just move the tank outside for the colder months.
Instead,when I place them in the fridge, I get a plastic box with holes and a damp paper towl in it.If you intend to chill them this way don't feed them for a week before doing this because their guts have to be empty.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back