Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus marmoratus

L

leonardo

here are some pics of my little marbled newts, just wanted to share!

3655.jpg

3657.jpg

3656.jpg

I really love these little newts but one of them often refuses to eat regularly (even for 3weeks!)...even if it's not so much skinny I'm quite worried for it...do you have any advice?
I'm also trying to make all them (5) acquatic, but only two are totally acquatic (3cm of water) while one has never touched the water and the others sometimens "have a bath"...
what could I do?
thanks a lot
Leo

TJ

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any good advice for you. I eventually attributed the problem I had with adult marbleds to internal parasites, but it might have been something else. Mine were totally aquatic from the start.

By the way, I've been wondering...what actually happens when a newt takes on a worm of that size? Does it manage to eventually chow down the whole worm by digesting it little by little, or is the worm eventually rejected and spat out?
frog.gif

L

leonardo

thanks anyway Tim...are are your juveniles marmoratus doing?

I was going to cut that worm before he ate it all, but he did it before I could do it...
crazy.gif

he digested it with no problems but restarted eating only 7 days later!
bye
Leo

K

kai

Hi Leonardo,

Is the skinny juvenile one of the terrestrial ones? In any case, I'd put it separately and offer different food items (it may take a day or two). Pinhead crickets seem to be good for teasing juveniles but try as large a food variety as possible.

(Also check out John's caresheet @ CaudateCentral!)

Best wishes,
kai

L

leonardo

that juveniles is one of the two that sometimes go in the water (1/2cm of water)...yesterday , while he was submerged, he ate some bloodworms...so I hope he'll survive...

I've also offered some very small mealworms, but they didn't accept this food...
now I'm feeding them bloodworms, pieces of maggots and of earthworms...

I've already read John's caresheet, it was very useful!
I hope to breed them in the next two years...

PS for John:
do you know when Triturus marmoratus reach sexual maturity?

K

kai

Hi Leonardo,

Some metamorphs tend to be more timid feeders than their siblings and, thus, often get less food than their tankmates. I find that setting them separate for some time helps them to get used to the usual feeding routine and that makes it easier to reintroduce them to their siblings' tank eventually.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1