Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Size or age of the newt for a right ID

A

alexandre

At what age or size of the newt its possible find out if a juvie is a C.pyrrhogaster or a C. orientalis.
Thanks a lot

Alexandre

J

jennifer

Interesting question, and I don't have a specific answer. The wild-caught newts sold in pet shops are always old/large enough to tell. If you had a good photo, I think some people here could probably tell the difference at any age.

K

kim

I would like to see if any one could tell the age of my newt! I'm going to try to upload a picture. If it doesn't work, you can go to my web site to see a picture of them. My web address is in my profile! You have to click on the picture of the Rooster to get to the page where the newts are!!!

Thanks,
JC
35704.jpg

J

joseph

No real way to tell the age of the newt-they can live for a very long time. I'm pretty sure it is a Chinese firebelly. Nice photo and nice newt!

What we could do is tell you its gender if you are interested in that. I'm not sure in this shot but others should be able to. A full side shot would help.

W

william

that is a very nice newt you have there!

unfortunately you almost always cannot tell the age of a newt if it was wild caught.

M

melissa

wow that is a nice newt, just a question about your tank setup, do you have any water in it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1