Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis setup

J

jon

Hi everyone.
Just got 4 C. Orientalis the other day and thought I'd take a few pics and see what you all think about my setup. Don't know what I should do next with it. Any Opinions would be great. It's a 15 gallon tank btw.

29040.jpg

29041.jpg

29042.jpg

C

chris

Nice setup. I would add some more plants though. Try to make the vegetation very thick. One other thing - sphagnum moss is very acidic, so its probably not a good idea to use it in the setup. Either use some moss from a garden/park where chemicals are not used etc. if you can get it, or put some cork-bark/stone hides on top of the rock.
Good luck with them
Chris

J

jon

Thanks Chris, I just took out the sphagnum moss. That moss was actually potted with a venus flytrap i decided to put in there. Maybe I'll see if i can use another moss for it to put back in. Unless you guys think its not a good idea to have that in there. As for the addition of plants, I'd like to add some small lily pads or something as well as other plants, any suggestions as to what types are good for this setup? I've been looking around and found Dwarf Lilies, they grow up 3 inches in diameter or so, so thats not too bad. Anyone have any experience with these?

C

corey

This is a great set-up, very nice for your newts. Is that a rock under the moss? I'm sure your newts are quite comfortable.

J

joseph

Dwarf lilies(assuming you are referring to Nymphaea stellata) aren't exactly dwarf and can get quite large. They would need high lighting and rich substrate to grow well-but would survive for a while in low light.

Just me, but the gravel doesn't seem to match the rest of the setup.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on May 13, 2005)

L

lindsay

Also about the "rock"... is that a rock under the moss? When I saw the setup, the first thing I thought was "ooooo I want a thing like that!" referring the the "rock". Is it a rock? Did you buy it or find it? Do tell!!

~lindsay

J

jon

Wow I haven't checked this section in a while I guess. Yes that is a flat rock underneath the moss on the right. I actually no longer have that setup anymore since I moved.. But when I did have it the moss began growing some sort of plant with little white flowers. Not sure if it was part of the moss or just another plant that took off. I know the gravel didn't really match the rest of the tank.. But it was what I had at the time. I plan on my next setup to be a bit more natural looking than this one. Possibly with a sand substrate? I'm undecided at the moment on that..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1