Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. orientalis larvae pics

K

kelsey

These are about two months old:

30975.jpg

30976.jpg

30977.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on March 22, 2005)

K

kelsey

heres the parents:
the mommy, much larger than the rest

30985.jpg

30986.jpg

30987.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on March 22, 2005)

J

joseph

Great photos! Like all things, newts are so cute when young.

J

jennifer

Looks like some of them are starting to metamorphose. Good going! You'll need a lid on that container very soon!

C

corrina

Mine are really starting to fatten like that too. They hatched in January and I have 13 total, 6 larger ones that look like the pics above. Hopefully metamorpheses isn't too far in the future.

K

kelsey

you were right Jennifer! Two have climbed out of the water. Are they still going to eat blackworms?

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Kelsey.

Nice pics!

I fixed some things in your thread. Hope you don't mind
biggrin.gif

One thing though -- which pic was it that you had labeled "a potential father"?

K

kelsey

Thanks Tim!

I thought that either of those two smaller adults may be the male.. i really dont know anything about sexing them though.. help me out? The only thing i know is that i am pretty sure i saw the large newt, the top picture, laying the eggs, plus she has looked gravid.

J

joseph

Great to see you got a morph!

Is the larvae in that second picture always such a light color? Looks almost pink!

K

kelsey

Thanks! I have a few morphs now- i hope they eat for me. The larva seem to fluctuate in color.. sometimes many are light and sometimes they are dark.

K

kelsey

3 morphs now! cute as ever!
33313.jpg

here is a speckled larva. A few look like this, is that normal?
33314.jpg

here's the container the morphs are in.
33315.jpg

Feeding suggestions for morphs welcome

J

joeri

For morfs:
fruitflies
white worms
nightcrawlers
springtails
frozen mosquito larves (but it takes time to learn them to eat it - use a tweezer)

That's what I feed mine.
If they head back for the water you can also try artemia, daphnia, moinia, small schrimps,...

TJ

Reaction score
That speckled larvae looks great!!!

I'd see what Nate or somebody else experienced with this species have to say about how uncommon that is or if the spots are likely to disappear as the newt grows. Hopefully not!

I'd help you out with sexing the adults, but I'm surprisingly clueless at times without tail sheens or swollen cloacas to guide me
smile6.gif

(Message edited by TJ on March 30, 2005)

P

pamela

Just wonderful Kelsey! And yes - they are super cute little ones. The spotted one is really unusual. You should record how its color changes with age. Congrats.
happy.gif

K

kelsey

here is one of the speckled ones keeping the speckles into morphhood
33718.jpg

here are a few morphs
33719.jpg

J

joeri

I envy the quality of your pictures Kelsey.
Some of my morfs are already heading back into the water. Exciting!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1