Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Video of red C. pyrrhogaster

J

jeff

My reaction- "OH WOW!"
I had to download Realplayer to play it but it was well worth it. What a strange variation. By the way, where about do you live in Japan, Tim?

TJ

Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it, Jeff.

I sure did
biggrin.gif

I'm in Tokyo, and Gifu is a bit too far away from here to go and have a firsthand look, though it's certainly tempting...

P

paris

whaahhh!! how come i cant download it?? i get 'page cannot be displayed'....now i can get the other vid -the hynobid one- which is a 'ajx'(i think )...why cant i get this one??

J

jameswei

Tim was there any reason, any specific mutation, or perhaps a pathological reason, as to why the sallie is this color?

TJ

Reaction score
Hi James,

From what I've read, the genetic mechanisms responsible for the emergence of red variants are not well understood. Results of experimental hybridizations in the laboratory strongly suggest that in C. pyrrhogaster the dorsal skin coloration characteristic of at least one of the color variant types (red-colored dorsum with black spots) is inherited and recessive.

For further info, see the Herpetological Society of Japan publication Current Herpetology 22(1): 37-42, June 2003.

Red variants of the Japanese Newt Cynops pyrrhogaster (amphibia: Salamandridae): Review of Records and Captive Observations on the Heredity of Coloration

Kumi Matsui, Junsuke Marunouchi and Masahisa Nakamura

Paris, did you install RealPlayer?

(Message edited by TJ on March 16, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!