New little guy, possibly shedding?

K

ken

I recently purchased two new newts for my setup. One is considerably smaller than the others and wasn't getting any food so was getting listless. He was spending most of his time on a floating log in the tank motionless, to the point where I had to poke him a few times to get him to move.

This morning I took him out and placed him in his own small critter keeper for a while to try and get him fattened back up. He seems much more content in there, actively cruising the water and climbing about leisurely on the rocks. He also seems to have eaten some blood worms.

Here's a photo:

28069.jpg

As you can see in the picture, he has a grayish film on his head and body. Would he be shedding his skin or is this possibly him releasing his toxins as I had just finished handling him ten minutes before the picture was taken?

He's just a little fellow, no bigger around than a pencil, and head to tail about the same length as my pinky. (I have little hands)

Any suggestions on fattening him up? He seems to take bloodworms as I've said, any other suggestions for food stuff for such a little guy?

I'm sure that the "film" is just skin, because thats what it looked like when my bullfrog would shed and I know that they (bullfrogs) aren't toxic.

And you could try feeding him cut up earthworms or even brine shrimp if hes so small. When I had mine they ate ghost shrimp some times.

Put a rough rock in there for him to rub his skin off if it is indeed a shed skin.

Mark, aren't bare bottomed tanks a good idea? I prefer to keep my tank bottom bare because I think it makes for easier clean ups, and when I had fishtank gravel in my setup, my fire belly ended up with severely scratched "cheeks." She still has the scars, and this was about 7 years ago. Why do you prefer gravel, just asthetics?

That's a shedding alright, but not a good shedding - shows that something is wrong with him.
Might just be really stressed out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back