Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. cyanurus larvae

TJ

Reaction score
25026.jpg

25027.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of the center of the eye being white like this.
I don't recall that being the case with C. orientalis or other Cynops species.

S

sergé

Looks like a bit like Triturus cristatus/marmoratus larvae after hatching...the also have these striped patterns.
I saw some older larvae of cyanurus bred by Harry Dresens and they were very light coloured. Strange creatures...

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks Dot!

Strange indeed, Serg, even now.

It looks like a little bumblebee:
25068.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Here's a ventral view of the same, taken today:

25182.jpg

P

paul

Fantastic pics, Tim!
Congrats to your cyanurus breeding!
Did you measure its length?

Paul

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks!

When I measured it yesterday, it was 0.7 cm long.

Here it is again today:

25200.jpg

B

benjamin

Is it eating yet, it looks like it has two little fins, I read about young larvae having tiny fins called stabilizers that let them rest on the ground. They eventually dissapear and are replaced by front legs. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

TJ

Reaction score
Yeah, but they're called "balancers" as far as I know.

For a description, see: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/13357.html

Here is a Hynobius dunni larvae showing the balancers:

25241.jpg

25242.jpg

To my recollection, Cynops larvae don't have them, though Tylototriton larvae do. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong
wink.gif

TJ

Reaction score
On second thought, maybe they do. I see what looks like a balancer protruding from the area between the eye and the gill in the first pic at the top of this thread...

By the way, does anybody happen have this paper? If so, I'd appreciate being sent a copy...

Crawford, A. J., and D. B. Wake. 1998. Phylogenetic and evolutionary perspectives on an enigmatic organ: the balancer of larval caudate amphibians. Zoology 101:107-123.

Benjamin, I don't know if it is eating yet as I'm raising it in tank crud (or "muck" if you prefer), the same way I raised by Taricha larvae, as there are lots of tiny organisms in there to feed on. I just put in a clear case temporarily for the photo. It's a bit hard to observe in its regular container.

TJ

Reaction score
Nice to know, Jesper. Funny I hadn't noticed before.

Anyway, here is the cyanurus larvae today:

25332.jpg

25333.jpg

Also notice how the white dot (and it doesn't seem to have been a reflection of light) has disappeared from the center of the eye
biggrin.gif

J

jesper

Turned out my balancers were the beginning of frontlegs
blush.gif
Thought they were a little to far back....but still, they were born with their frontlegs then...not fully developed though.
Larvae noob...

TJ

Reaction score
Nice, Henk. But I am not entirely certain that was a reflection...

Well, don't ask me what happened to that last larvae. Lets just say I learned a lesson.

Anyway, reinforcements are on the way!

26194.jpg

J

john

Larvae can use their balancers to stick to anything (glass, plants, plastic, you name it). Generally they use them when they first escape the egg jelly in order to hang hidden on plants while they finish the yolk in their stomachs - the balancers then shrink and disappear.

G

garrison

Hope it's no problem bringing up an old subject, but how are your C. cyanurus larvae doing Tim?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!