Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops cyanurus/chenggongensis

H

henk

I have made my first shots on the animal that I got as being C. chenggongensis.

8PICT4423_klein_filtered.jpg

8PICT4120_klein.jpg

For what concerns the validity and eventula mixture with C. cyanurus I will leave the currently open. I only have one female of this type , but some more of the cyanurus (that I still need to photograph).

The cyanurus are however very little compared with the animals I formerly had. These guys are the size of a Cynops orientalis, whereas mine had the size of and adult C. pyrrhogaster female (even a bit larger). Also my cuyanurus where solid black (they came from Germany). These cuyanurus are quite mottled and can get very pale colored too. The so called chenggongensis has a more greenisch iridescent colors in the skin and if you look well there are some orange colorings peeking through the sides (unerlying coloration)

I have set this female together with male cyanurus : now I wait to see what will happen.
I will make some more shots later on both. The tank they are in now is not good for taking images (glass is scratched).

Unfortunatelly my scanner broke down on me so I can not scan the slides.

<font color="ff0000">Message Modified by John: Please do not post links to photos. If you are not prepared to upload the photo, please use the \imagelink command as described in the main Caudata.org Photo Gallery</font>

P

paul

Hi Henk!

Great photos!

My greatest cyanurus female has a totale length of approximate 12 cm, and its back is very dark.
So I think it is yunnanensis type.

I think the cyanurus you got in Gersfeld should be nominat form. "Les Salamandres" says that C.c.cyanururs are smaller than yunnanensis.

Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1