Books on Japanese & Chinese caudates

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Does anybody have this old, old book?

Concerning Certain Species of Reptiles and Amphibians from China, Japan , the Loo Choo Islands, and Formosa.
Van Denburgh, J. (1912)

I want to know what it has to offer in terms of references to C. ensicauda and E. andersoni
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by TJ on September 18, 2004)

Here's a book that's being sold for <u>US$1,639</u> through Abe's books!

"Sato, Ikio
A Monograph of the Tailed Batrachians of Japan
Nippon Shuppan-sha, Osaka, 1943. Pp. 2, 4, 18, 520, 1 b/w plate, 1 fold-out table, 7, 31 color plates. In a fine blue cloth hardcover binding with japanese text on spine. Title page a little bit frayed on top and right margin, small dampstain in left top corner throughout, well away from the text and not affecting plates. Otherwise a fine, clean copy. Very rare."

Indeed, this is an amazing work. I have examined it at a university library before and it's a monumental piece of work. Packed with info (all in Japanese though). I find it pretty amazing that it was published in 1943, right in the middle of World War II. You would think the Japanese had greater priorities at that time. That Mr. Sato must have been an amazing individual for his time
biggrin.gif

"Batrachians" -- that's a word we don't hear nowadays...

I have just ordered A Survey of Chinese Amphibia by C.H. Pope and A.M. Boring (1940).

Has anybody seen this before? Pope, incidentally, is the person who C. ensicauda popei was named after.

Also Robert Inger's Preliminary Survey of the Amphibians of the Riukiu (1947) and E.m. Zhao's Studies on Chinese Salamanders (1988).

And it's not even Christmas yet
biggrin.gif

By the way, both Loo Choo Islands and Riukiu are references to the Ryukyu Islands.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back