Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. pyrrhogaster larvae

TJ

Reaction score
These are larvae from wild-caught adults from Kanagawa Prefecture. They are especially large because they have been kept cool.

20918.jpg

J

jennifer

What is their size, roughly? My pyrrhos always morph at a tad over an inch (2.5 cm). I would love to find a way to get them to morph larger.

TJ

Reaction score
The biggest larvae are a tad under 2 inches at about 5 cm, while the biggest morphs are about 4.5 cm. The way to get them to morph at a larger size like this -- according to Mr. Yamazaki, from whom I got these larvae --is to keep the water cooler than would normally be the case in the captive environment. He keeps an ice bottle in the larvae tank most of the time. Nate had some interesting things to say about this issue on chat, but it slips my mind
lame.gif

20940.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on August 20, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
Here's one that morphed overnight and seems to have shrunk a bit in the process. I wonder what accounts for the shrinkage...

20943.jpg

J

jennifer

That one is a really good size. I notice that too - they do seem to shrink when they morph!

J

joseph

Yeah, I noticed that with frog tads...odd.

Soo...how cold would you guys reccomend? I suppose the fridge is too extreme for this purpose?

TJ

Reaction score
Yeah, I would think the fridge would be too extreme, but what do I know...
smile6.gif

I'd try out a temperature-adjustable wine cooler if I had one (and I will eventually have one!)

(Message edited by TJ on August 25, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
I haven't been cooling them since I got them but they're getting pretty huge for C.p larvae:

21240.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1