Cynops habitat in Japan

E

erik

These pics were taken on Mt. Hyonosen.

Habitat is a very small roadside ditch:

21127.jpg

Nice contribution, Erik! That doesn't top the five-legged Japanese giant salamander pic you posted but it's nice nonetheless
lol.gif
Please don't hesitate to post more!

For those unfamiliar with Mt. Hyonosen, it's on the border of Hyogo and Tottori prefectures in western Japan, in the general vicinity of the Yabu district of Hyogo where I recently observed C.pyrrhogaster (http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/20545.html?1092886741)

Erik, the vent pattern on that C.p seems to conform to the Sasayama-type pyrrhogaster but without tiny dots. I wonder if there is such thing as an intermediate race between the Sasayama and Hiroshima types in that area...

Technically, should these be considered Sasayame race, based on the locality? Sorry, but my Japanese geography isn't too good. I'd like to use the photos on CC though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back