Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

It is sad...

P

pin-pin

That I'm driven to post non-Taricha photos....

Well, these little guys are growing up (and soon to be given away...keep your eyes open if you're in the market for cynops orientalis.)

This is my largest.
DSCN1932.jpg

Belly Shot:

DSCN1933.jpg

This is the slightly abnormally coloured one.
DSCN1946.jpg

Belly shot:

DSCN1943.jpg

It's not really far behind...in development, but doesn't eat as well (read: greedily) as the black one above.
DSCN1941.jpg

I am fascinated that they've developed stripes over their cloaca (maybe this was always there?) Is it too soon to sex them?

TJ

Reaction score
Sad? Nothing sad about it!

Pin-pin, you need to squarely face the fact that you're subconsciously attracted to Cynops. Cheating on Taricha is not quite the same thing as cheating on your boyfriend, so just let it flow, girl, let it flow...
lol.gif

Funny, I read your question about sexing juveniles just as I'm watching Larry King's interview with Heather Ingram...

J

joseph

Nice little chocolate guy! As I said in chat, I've got one like that(though a shade lighter even).

For sexing...when the newts are on a flat surface underwater, observe the indentation between the cloaca and tail. In females, the cloaca is more or less in line with the tail on the other side of the indentation....while in males it bulges quite a bit.

The fact that yours have almost completely colored bellies is also interesting.

P

pin-pin

Thank you Tim and Joseph.
love.gif
Truthfully, Tim, yes these c.o. have been a pleasure to keep. They're very responsive, yet peaceful. Two have developed the habit of standing on their back legs (in the water) with their heads pointed to me when I lift the cover off. Heartwarming, after a day in the lab.....

Tim: It's not cheating, it's "developing better skills to better care for Taricha...."
wink.gif

I wouldn't be talking about sexing juveniles, if I were you...Mr. "I married a hot babe half my age..."

S

sergé

Salamandra's can do that as well...begging for food...you can learn a lot from keeping them which would benefit Taricha as well...just a suggestion
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!