Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larval C. cyanurus

E

edward

Here is an old pic of a larval cyanureus. The coin is a quarter for size comparision.
I have also seen one larval that went right to the aquatic stage skipping over the terrestrial phase. It was as big as some of the C. orientalis I have seen for sale.

Ed

18596.jpg

H

henk

Well Ed does the rearing of the juveniles pose you any problems ? Sinhce this species seems to be troublesome overhere in rearing. Having them skip the landphase is just a great advantage to my opinion.

E

edward

Hi Henk,
I actually have had good luck with rearing them. I seperate them into pairs in a 1 liter container with a lid. I add some kind of cover plant usually a clump of Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus) and add black worms. I only chop the black worms initially as once the larva get to the point where all four legs have developed the larva can usually feed on the black worms by biting off the ends. I do a twice a week 50% water change with aged well water and just let them get bigger. With the ones that metamorph, I lower the water level and use some java moss for a land area and feed them blackworms in a shallow dish. Once the newt begins to forage underwater a little I slowly raise the water level. Usually the terrestrial stage lasts less than a month and the larva I rear this way are often about 1/4 to 2/3 the size of an adult C. orientalis. I keep them on a 16/8 day-night schedule and about 22 C.

Ed

H

henk

Well we tried to raise them terrestrial in a forest litter setup and this didn't work at all.

E

edward

Hi Henk,
Here is a similar setup to the one that I used to rear the cyanureus once they metamorph with the exception that it contains a C. e. popei and is a little smaller. I took this before I cleaned the cage so its a little dirtier than normal.

18706.jpg

18707.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1