Need trick for popei breeding...

P

paris

ok, here is a pic of one of my more than robust females, they are huge!! but none are laying, the males dont take notice of them either-the only female being courted is not big like these-they are currently aquatic (with some platforms), the water depth is about 7 inches,heavily planted with java fern (which they have laid on before) the water temp is 78 F.

what can i do to get these to lay?? should i remove them onto land for a while? raise the water temp or level? i have 2 males even to fight over the females-yet they take no notice-they have been this large for about 2 months-they should lay by now right??? help!!

5049.jpg

Perhaps the water is too warm to lay in. Mine started laying when the temps were still in the high 60's. Perhaps they don't feel comfortable laying in the warmer water.

~Aaron

I have had some success with reluctant individuals from other species - toads and newts -by increasing the amount of lighting. Think about day-length as a factor too. (You don't say if you have artificial lighting.) If you can, see if an extra dose of indirect sunshine gets the hormones flowing.

I agree with Aaron, mine have bred 3 times in November and December when the water in their tank is at its coolest. I have never kept them terrestrial always aquatic with small island.
Mine have always spawned in Elodea.

Martin

Yep, I'd also say cooler temps are the way to go. Elodea or Egeria are fine though mine prefer thin, light plastic strips weighted down in the tank. Good luck!

Hi Paris,
If you cool them into the low to mid sixties F and bring the temps to the upper 60's or very low 70s then you should get up to seven months of egg laying out of them.
Ed

i have bred them before -but i dont know how i did it...all i know is that when i moved them to the shop-which got down to the 50's-they stopped laying-that was back in november/december. no mention from any of you with success stories how deep the water was...i honestly cannot even remember what sort of tank i had mine in-much less the water depth. i currently have them in a 55 gallon tank-if i move them to my store they will have summer water temps of about 64 F, is this adequate you think for breeding-or will they go back out of season at that temp?

i guess i could move them to a closed tank system (plastic/glass hood-not screen mesh like most) with a light that isnt on a timer -that would probably bring their water temp to near 70...any ideas here?

I keep mine in about 16" inches of water. I would suggest moving them to your store and allowing the temp to go up to 64, or maybe even 70 degrees.

~Aaron

ok now here is the skinny-they are still at the house and are now laying-but only the 1 female who doesnt look gravid (the one that was being courted), but not only does she turn up her nose at all live java fern (which they laid exclusivly on the first time round), she also wont lay on the cut plastic strips or the elodea...no shes got some wild idea up her vent to lay not only on java moss (usually 2 eggs side by side)but she lays them at water level! she climbs up onto a corkbark platform that has java moss growing all over it and lays out of the water-her butt barley in the H2O...so far she is laying about 4/day..what i still dont get is the 3 much larger and gravid looking females arent laying or even being courted.....
5172.jpg

another point of interest- i have seen that female take 2 packets of sperm personally yesterday-yet she only laid 4 eggs.....isnt that stuff supposed to go a long way? like perhaps 1 packet/50 eggs?? if shes taking that much in..what's she doing with it-do they have the capability to hold it in suspension in a separate 'chamber'an use it at a later date??

Lol! of course not it will all go to waste they dont laythere eggs all at once lol just give it time!

nah but ive did alot of research the past month or so what age are you?

Please clean your glasses when you look at my profile and youll see im 14!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back