Paramesotriton guanxiensis

M

matt

My local petshop now offers "Warty Newts" or "Giant Firebellies"... visually they are (99% confidence) Paramesotriton guanxiensis.
Any tips that experienced voices can offer?

Well I would do Kaysie, but I currently lack a scanner / digital camera.
The pictures I was going on for my original post (sorry for typing error in subject line) were the ones in the Caudate Central Species Database.
But a care sheet is also needed...
PS - They are amazing-looking... real giants, living dinosaurs.

Hi Matt, would just like to point out that the photos of P. guangxiensis at Caudate Central are tentative at best. Basically from what I've seen on the net, if a Paramesotriton is clearly not hongkongensis, chinensis, caudopunctatus, or fuzhongensis, it gets labeled guangxiensis online for lack of any better information out there. I've kept animals in the past that look exactly like the animals pictured on that page (especially 2nd photo, animal on the left) but it did not comply with the details of Thorn's measurement's and description of guangxiensis. It sounds to me from your description (real giants, living dinosaurs) that they may be a form of Paramesotriton that I think is either P. deloustali or a new species.

Here's some lengthy discussions on this subject in the past with a few photos:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/1823.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/43.html

The animals were very shy and secretive feeders for a long time. Once established though, the trouble began as with all Paramesotriton...brutal fighting. I would also recommend that you examine them more carefully than any other newt you've ever bought for sores. I had 1/3 of my collection decimated from a disease some mystery Paramesotriton brought with them back in 2001.

Brilliant one, Nate.
Your account especially chimes with the shyness thing - they like to congregate, or even duck for cover when I arrive on the scene, under a floating island - and also aggression... it does not seem major but they do barge each other about quite a bit, especially when the tubifex arrives.
Big thank-you...

Im not sure which specie mine are (caudopunctatus i think), but they are anything but shy, i put my hand in the water and theyll all come out, then try to eat it, hoping that they would get an earthworm one time.
They also come up to the front of the glass when im there.
ALso, i have found mine to be quite social, i fequently see them all in 1 place. I have not spotted any aggression between them, exept feeding time.

I like paramesotriton newts, they look very strange, but sometimes they do sit motionless for hours, which some people may find boring

AJfr0ggy

I recently aquired what i think is guangxiensis from a pet store what called them fire bellies. I not sure what they are but they are laying eggs about a week after i got them i have 3 only one of the females is laying eggs and the male is waving his tail and anything that comes close. Ill try to post a pic tell me if they look like guangxiensis to you guys.
6512.jpg

Can't tell you if they are guanxiensis but congrats on the eggs and good luck with them. Some forms of Paramesotriton are pretty hard to distinguish and the systematics of this genus is still a mess. From the small picture you posted I'd say they are pretty similar to what I keep as fuzhongensis. Looks like a big male (left) and a female in that tank you're holding.

Ralf

I'd need a closer look / photo but they aren't very different to mine, especially the one on the left. Think mine are a tad bigger though.

Are yours a bit on the agressive side - to one another that is?

As hinted at above, I have seen a photo that is identical to mine but I've seen it posted with the name P. honkongensis AND P. guanxiensis.
Frustrating.

Good luck with the animals!

PS
Would love to see more pictures, especially when they are in the water.

Would also love to hear about behavioural observations. Mine are aquatic at a certain temp (which I will pin down!), otherwise, if it gets a bit cooler, they are soon terrestrial.

Favourite foods are - in order - live Tubifex, Daphnia (not too small for them!) and Bloodworm. Earthworms are usually ignored.

Best//M

Nope My guys have shown no signs of aggression. The closest thing to aggression would have to be from the male(I have 1 male 2 females)he constantly does his mating tail dance to everything that moves. It go soo bad i bought a second female because he wouldnt let her be. IT,s so bad that when its feeding time he waves his tail at the females and doesnt eat. As far as temps and where the leave i keep mine around 70 to 80 and they never leave the water. I feed them frozen bloodworm and brineshrimp occasionaly i feed them live blackworms and there are lots of snails and feeder guppies swimming around but no sure if they eat them.
6516.jpg
6517.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back