Yellow-tailed C. ensicauda

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Since there hasn't been a single Cynops-related post in...get this...OVER 5 WEEKS
cry.gif
, I thought I'd break the ice here with a pic of one of the most interesting of my C.e juvies, one with a gorgeous yellow-fringed tail:

LEFT SIDE:

6239.jpg

6240.jpg

RIGHT SIDE:

6241.jpg

6242.jpg

wow tim.
another great picture,never seen a yellow one before.

mark

Well If someone would actually start breeding and selling some other cynops species than orientalis and pyrrhogaster...
It's kind of difficult to post pics of what what I dont have
smile9.gif

Its kind of strange I think, everybody is saying they are breeding but no one comes up with the wares...
I mean one female lays a lot of eggs....
Thats why I cant understand why there's more demand than newts. Where is all the eggs of marmoratus and verrucosus for example? When they are sold they disappear in a couple of hours it seems. Do people just throw away eggs or are these species so difficult to breed?
uhoh.gif

Ok...
My example didnt exactly give any cynopses....
Well lets take ensicauda then...
By the way I saw a german guy listing walterstorrfi as kept species! Thought it was extinct, but I suppose this guy is well known here.

Hi Jesper,
what's wrong with pyrrhogaster and orientalis?
At least C. ensicauda is also bred regularly. Luckily most of this offspring is not sold commercially but given or traded among enthusiasts. On the other hand most of wc animals sold via petshops will never be bred.
Your best bet would probably be to join a Herpetological society and/or keep in touch with people on this board. I can tell from my own experience that it almost always takes quite some time to get hold of cb offspring of a certain species.
biggrin.gif

On the other hand, I do not favour to think of offspring as "ware" nor is it desirable for enthusiasts to "commercialize" their hobby, meaning to breed quantitudes of animals just for a potential market. True, there are some around. Still too many in my opinion.

There is some basic info on Paul Bachhausen's "salamanderseiten" concerning C. wolterstorffi as well as on the newt registry for Cynops within the AG Urodela. However, I am not aware of any German website stating that C. wolterstorffi is being kept in captivity. Since I am very interested in this genus I would beg you to provide the link. To my knowledge this species from Kunming lake is extinct and hasn't shown up again despite a "bounty" that has been put up for delivering some.
If you are also interested in Cynops and already keep orientalis and pyrrhogaster, why not join the Cynops Newt Registry? Anybody keeping one or more Cynops species is welcome to join.

Ralf

Thanks for your response Ralf!
I agree with you on on several points!

I do not like seeing newts in petshops generally, they do take very good care of them(mostly anyway).

On the other hand dont you think its kind of strange that orientalis are sold in petshops?
They are not very hardy to most owners mostly due to poor info and shipping. For example there are lots of other newts that respond better to indoor temperatures etc.

To come up with the wares is just an expression.
I do not look upon newts as wares.

Maybe this is wrong but I try to look at keeping newts as a way of protecting the species. That will mean that breeding is a good thing.

Thats why I dont understand what you mean with too many?
talker.gif
biggrin.gif

By the way Ralf, I checked the site once again and I misunderstood it. My german is worse than I thought... so sorry.
sick.gif
uhoh.gif

Hi again Jesper,
I think we agree on most points. It's a pity that C. orientalis is still being imported in great numbers and in (under) terrible condition(s). Healthy orientalis are very hardy though. Mine breed for me almost every year and I keep them indoors. I got them as cb juveniles from another breeder in 1996.
Yes Jesper, breeding newts is a good thing and the ultimate thrill for any serious keeper. There can never be "too many" if you are able to share them with other enthusiasts when you have them (to split up the risks of raising, secure captive stocks.... or just to share the fun).
I can only advise you to keep on looking for the animals you want. Don't expect any breeder to always have some animals in stock for you (like a pet shop would have guppies) and not every newt keeper also breeds her/his animals (due to a variety of reasons). It still is a hobby for most people and there is no "protection" in breeding them for the pet trade. I think we also agree on this one.
Good luck hunting for cb offspring then.

Ralf

I do not expect breeders to act like petshops, not at all. I was merely curious as to what happens with all the eggs from breeding couples. The female lay what 200-400 eggs?
That is a lot of newts even though some die and I expect that no hobbyist keeper can raise and keep all those newts from one single season?
So what happens with them all?
I mean if they were "shared" there would not be such a demand on some newts.

Now for example:
I live in sweden where there are two species, vulgaris and cristatus. Both are protected species, but they are easy to come by if you know how and where to find them.
Now theres obviously lots of people who wants cristatus and vulgaris and are willing to trade.
But there's none willing to sell at least not very easily.
Now that is disturbing to me.

Hey Jesper,
maybe we should start a new thread as this has got nothing to do with Yellow Tail C.e..

Ralf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back