Cynops orphicus

C

chris

What is the current status of c. orphicus? Am I right in thinking it is extinct in the wild?
It's just that I heard that a chinese prof. has a group of them in his lab that no-one knew about. Is this correct?
Chris

Rumours abound, Chris. They seem to be extremley rare/close to extinction in the wild, but are definitely proven to exist now. UC Berkely is keeping a few individuals. I think it's safe to assume nobody in the hobby has any and nobody will have any in the forseeable future.

haha, maybe so...I just call them as I see them
smile7.gif

Hi all, in regards to C.orphicus, yes Nate is quite right in respect to its current status but there are currently successful breeding programs being done through the Chengdu institute of biology in China. unfortunately habitat is another story, along with other caudates in the area increasing agriculture (Tea and Orange plantations) has destroyed most of the suitable habitat for many amphibians.On a good note though, several new populations are rumored to have been discovered in the last 2yrs.
Craig

It's better than I thought, but still not that good. Let's hope that this species has a future...
Thnks for info,
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back