Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops Pyrrhogaster (Miyazaki Prefecture)

TJ

Reaction score
Just received these C. pyrrhogaster from Kyushu Island, the southernmost range of this species
happy.gif

The first thing I noticed is that they're considerably smaller than C.p adults I'm used to seeing. They may just be young, but one of the females is gravid, so I wonder...

As for their ventral patterns, they have "rounded spots or blotches on the belly with some individuals lacking black markings altogether" as described in the caudatecentral caresheet as being characteristic of the Hiroshima race of C.p

2712.jpg

2713.jpg

2714.jpg

(Message edited by tj on May 27, 2006)

P

paul

Hi Tim,
very fine newts:)
This is Miyazaki prefecture - right?
About the lower length:
This is what KAWAMURA and SAWADA wrote about the Kagoshima pyrrhogaster:
… pyrrhogaster collected from Hiroshima are somewhat larger in average total length than those from Kagoshima.
Do you know there exact position - near to Kagoshima ore near to Oita?
Paul

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Paul!
Thanks. I received 10 of them, all seemingly healthy, and plan to keep 3 pair.

Yes, that's Miyazaki (famous for its beaches), and Kagoshima (famous for its volcano) is the prefecture to its left. Oita (famous for its hot springs) is located just northeast of Miyazaki.
yawn.gif

I would think C.p from Kagoshima and Miyazaki are generally the same, and I've heard of a "southern Kyushu group" so I guess there are some differences between them and the ones from Oita and elsehere in northern Kyushu.

Yes, I know the exact village where they were caught.It's located in southern Miyazaki -- nearer to Kagoshima than to Oita.

Here's one eating its shedded skin
biggrin.gif

2728.jpg

R

ralf

Hey Tim,
very nice pics as always. This looks like at least one potential breeding couple in the last picture (male on the left and female in front).

Ralf

TJ

Reaction score
March 20, 2003: a day to go down in history. I refer not to the launch of the U.S.-led attack on Iraq...but to my first-EVER C.p egg
biggrin.gif

3061.jpg

3062.jpg

3063.jpg

3064.jpg

3065.jpg

A

aaron

lol. 2 things:

1. congrats

2. what have you been doing to them? how is it that you bred paramesotriton and how many other species before pyrrhogaster???? you're one strange individual.

~Aaron

TJ

Reaction score
hahaha...tks Aaron, but as to your question, I'd prefer you address that to my pyrrhogaster
lol.gif

As for my breeding success with other newts, I attribute that to acquisition of already gravid and ready-to-burst females. Works every time!
And then it doesn't take a master newtkeepers to breed either C.ensicauda or P.waltl, right?

I keep 7-8 groups of pyrrhogaster now, but I've had them all for less than a year. And it's only been in the last month that I've started giving them the attention they deserve.

3072.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
I'm responsible for this premature hatchling, which slipped out of the egg when I was separating the egg from a plastic strip while trying to get a pic.
blush.gif
Seems OK though!

3234.jpg

3235.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!